• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Marlin lever guns vs Henry

Ok... Ill bite.
Henry's are nice rifles. If you like (or don't mind) tube fed rifles. Customer service is great from what I hear as I never had to use it. Buy one and you'll probably like it ALOT.
Winchesters are the classic and the main down side is the top eject. No conventional scope set up and the action isn't made to be as strong as the Marlin.
The Remlins should not be called Marlins. They are really bad guns. Fortunately Remington realized this early on and if you bought one and you sent it in, they would work on it for free (scared of another lawsuit I guess). I bought one used and it would not even chamber a round. I took it to a gunsmith and the bolt was so badly milled he called Remington and the guy on the other end said... oh yea it happens send it back and we will fix it for free. Come to find out... it happens ALOT. +1 customer service for not arguing, but -50 for crappy work getting out of the factory.
Be aware that there are some of the last JM stamped guns that were assembled by part time monkeys at the new Remington plant. They had the parts already made before they moved the plant. These JM Remlins have good parts, but were put together using only a flat headed screw driver and a sledge hammer by the semi skilled poo flinggers (from my close inspections).
Newer Remington made Marlins 2017ish and up seem to be ok. If you look at them you can see where they have cut some corners, but great strides were made in fit and finish. On sale they are ok, but don't pay a premium.
JM Marlins are really nice guns. The older ones seem to come with charm and just that something that others seem to lack. Also included are the Marlin produced store brands which were the same gun, just made to a specific for those stores. These older guns (pre 2000) seem to command a premium over the newer ones because even with a few dings here and there they are still quality firearms.
As others have said, I am quite interested to see what the Marugers will look like. I like the Ruger bolt guns and I hope the new lever guns will bring the best of Ruger and old Marlin together. Im willing to at least give them a try.

I have had both and prefer my stainless rossi over everything except an old western auto 30-30 that's so old but shoots so sweet.
Rossi? The one with an extra safety on TOP of the receiver? The safety that moves from one side to the other along the horizonal plane (and not even forward and back like on a shotgun)? You mean the Brazilian Hipoint of lever guns?
Surely by "I've had both" you mean the Western auto and the Rossi and you prefer the Rossi 2nd... of those 2.
Do they drug test at work? If so you may have to come in for a tinkle test.
:)

FE38C2E9-B8E7-42EB-A729-A5FAB31EB717.jpeg
0FAA54B0-914C-4655-B410-A0BA0C4B1CC8.png
Buy enough JM marlins and you’ll get some bad ones. JM marlins aren’t perfect. I have several Remington made marlins that are far superior to any JM gun I have ever owned. Seen some rough ones out of Ilion as well. Pretty closed minded when people say they won’t own a Remington made marlin. Really missing out a good shooting gun!

Looking forward to seeing what Ruger does with everything.

had a few Henry’s. Still have 1 of them. They are ok. Smooth as silk I just prefer the feel and look of a marlin.

And I'll add another can of gas on the fire. The triple 4 is the most underrated big bore cartridge to come out since WW2. The triple 4 was Marlins answer to the lack of a true 45 70 full power levergun. After Marlin developed the 444 gun makers beefed up actions and ammo manufactures started making 45 70 cartridges at higher pressures for those guns to get better performance. Thats why you will find some ammo as listed safe for newer guns and some that are not (as well as 2 different specs in reloading manuals for the 45 70). The 444 Marlin (sometimes referred to as the 444 Marlin Magnum or the 44 Magnum Magnum) wasn't on the market long enough prior to the upgrade of the 45 70 to gain the foothold that it really should have. Early reloaders also had issues with accuracy due to using bullets that were designed to be fired at half the velocity that the 444 achieves.
Some will say... but the 450 Marlin is even better. I will say yes to that, but only after asking how many guns they have found in it and where or if they found any factory loads for it. Its a great round that thumps on both ends. It just hasnt done enough volume to be considered. And as a side note, it was developed to do the same thing the 444 was and that was surpass the current 45 70 commercial load at the time of development which Marlin accomplished with both the 444 and 450.

View attachment 2896681 View attachment 2896682 Buy enough JM marlins and you’ll get some bad ones. JM marlins aren’t perfect. I have several Remington made marlins that are far superior to any JM gun I have ever owned. Seen some rough ones out of Ilion as well. Pretty closed minded when people say they won’t own a Remington made marlin. Really missing out a good shooting gun!

Looking forward to seeing what Ruger does with everything.

had a few Henry’s. Still have 1 of them. They are ok. Smooth as silk I just prefer the feel and look of a marlin.

Those are some really nice Marlins. My Marlins are all the std hunting versions, not the fancy ones like yours.

And I'll add another can of gas on the fire. The triple 4 is the most underrated big bore cartridge to come out since WW2. The triple 4 was Marlins answer to the lack of a true 45 70 full power levergun. After Marlin developed the 444 gun makers beefed up actions and ammo manufactures started making 45 70 cartridges at higher pressures for those guns to get better performance. Thats why you will find some ammo as listed safe for newer guns and some that are not (as well as 2 different specs in reloading manuals for the 45 70). The 444 Marlin (sometimes referred to as the 444 Marlin Magnum or the 44 Magnum Magnum) wasn't on the market long enough prior to the upgrade of the 45 70 to gain the foothold that it really should have. Early reloaders also had issues with accuracy due to using bullets that were designed to be fired at half the velocity that the 444 achieves.
Some will say... but the 450 Marlin is even better. I will say yes to that, but only after asking how many guns they have found in it and where or if they found any factory loads for it. Its a great round that thumps on both ends. It just hasnt done enough volume to be considered. And as a side note, it was developed to do the same thing the 444 was and that was surpass the current 45 70 commercial load at the time of development which Marlin accomplished with both the 444 and 450.

I will agree on the "thump on both ends" statement on the 444. I have killed deer with every one of my Marlins except the 444. I am not sure my old bones that handle that impact anymore.

I have owned jm Marlins, Remington Marlins and Henry’s. I have never had any problems with any of them. Some of the newer Marlins are just as good as jm stamped imo. Henry’s are smooth as silk. I prefer the feel and side loading of the Marlins. I am curious what ruger will do with Marlins.

I have owned jm Marlins, Remington Marlins and Henry’s. I have never had any problems with any of them. Some of the newer Marlins are just as good as jm stamped imo. Henry’s are smooth as silk. I prefer the feel and side loading of the Marlins. I am curious what ruger will do with Marlins.
Agreed.
One thing I didn't like about the Henrys was the lack of a loading gate (the ones I owned) and the weight. Marlins always cycled smoother for me, I don't worry about holding the gun straight and having to cycle it fast to prevent it from hanging up. My 1894 eats everything I throw at it. The Henrys hated .38 special.

Rossi? The one with an extra safety on TOP of the receiver? The safety that moves from one side to the other along the horizonal plane (and not even forward and back like on a shotgun)? You mean the Brazilian Hipoint of lever guns?
Surely by "I've had both" you mean the Western auto and the Rossi and you prefer the Rossi 2nd... of those 2.
Do they drug test at work? If so you may have to come in for a tinkle test.
:)

Had multiple marlins, only one I cared far was made by Remington. Not. Henry fan at all. Yep the highpoint is best for me. Heck highpoint makes a better HK than HK does...
No drug test? If you know the difference between Marijuana and rat poison and narco you pass....

Back
Top Bottom