Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

protective measures

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   1
Reaction score
I recently had a class where they wanted to gain expertise in the safe us of all of the firearms in the house... including a couple of Ruger 10/22's for the entire family.

It renewed an interest in me of a topic I've seen on other forums but not the ODT.

Which style .22 do you prefer, Marlin Model 60 or Ruger 10/22, & why?

I have & like both but am considering standardizing on one platform.

I'm curious to hear other peoples experiences w/ either one.

Attachments

• IMAG0500-1.jpg
    IMAG0500-1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 95
I love both of them and have a few of each...the Ruger has more aftermarket options but if you are looking for a basic 22, either one is hard to beat. I think it really comes down to the fact if you want detachable mags or a tube style. I don't pimp out my 22's so both work for me but the option for the detachable mag has an advantage for a 'go to' 22 rifle.

I have both now, but grew up on a model 60...or rather, the
99-M1, which is the M1 carbine lookalike. They're both fine shooters and I do have an emotional bias towards the 99-m1, but I do recognize the benefits of the 10/22. Lots more options for sure.

I do recall reading somewhere that the model 60 has outsold the 10/22 over the years, but don't recall the exact numbers. Both have sold millions, so either way, you're getting a solid, proven weapon.

I love my 10/22s. I would have total confidence in them in a self defense situtation (using the 10rd box mags). Add all the aftermarket stuff and they are clearly the most expensive rifles I have.

Two totally different animals. I love them both and they each have their strong points. For a basic reliable .22, the M60 is hard to beat. For a .22 that you can customize easily to your liking, the 10/22 has more than established itself for that. Add that to the fact that they have both been around for a long time.

Either one works great. I chose the Marlin personally because I prefer the tube fed. With higher capacity ruger mags, they can get in the way when prone or trying to rest the rifle. This can be somewhat overcome by aftermarket accessories, but I prefer KISS logic. I nabbed a Spee-D-Loader- which makes reloading tube fed rifles much quicker and easier, closing the gap of reloading the Ruger has an advantage on. It holds 120 rounds and is only $20. Now, mess up that tube and you'll be in a pickle!

10/22 all the way personally, but if you just want a plinker on a budget the 60 is half the price..something to look at IMO

Both are very good guns. My preference is the Model 60 since after market parts are just a bunch of junk that adds nothing to the function. Magazines can get damaged or lost easily, tube fed guns are less likely to get the feeding components damaged if used and handled properly. I don't consider a .22 a tactical rifle so pimping it out with tactical stuff is an exercise in making a gun into a transformer toy. If you have a 10/22, just keep it stock with the 10 round factory magazines and it will perform well. I know all the TACTICOOL guys will be screaming,"What are you talking about"? I have owned 5-6 10/22's and a couple of model 60's, I still have the model 60's and sold all of the Rugers. I have never had the need to do a tactical reload while hunting squirrels or plinking at the range.

Back
Top Bottom