• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MAS Mle 49/56

vernon.45

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
33   0
Reaction score
Hey all, just wanted to get a little of yalls input.

I recently did some horse trading(as usual) and finally got one of the rifles that's been on my 'need' list for years. A French MAS Mle 49/56 that is still in the original chambering of 7.5x54, not the rechambered one in 7.62x51( those are prone to having gas issues).

Anyway, after thoroughly cleaning this baby, she was FILTHY, the bore is great! It came with a box of ammo but i believe they were stored improperly because many had indented primers but the round never fired so i pulled the rounds for components. I have a few boxes on the way, thanks Graf & sons, but i was wondering what kind of accuracy can i expect out of this rifle? I love the way it feels and how it handles, the sights are great.

Any others on here have experience with these cool ole rifles?

They are pretty decent rifles with good accuracy. Enjoy what may be the original DI rifle.

Im trying to get a 308 one personally....not hard to overcome overgassing with 308 and shortened barrels.

well your issue could be the firing pin as slam fires are fairly common on these a titanium pin was made and sold for these a long time ago so if you can find one of those buy but they are pretty scarce now. another common fix was to save the head of the firing pin down just a touch but a lot of people get a little carried away which can result in the problem your having. Or you could just have a bunch of cosmoline gunked up around the firing pin.

I love mine and shoot it all the time and standing at 100 yards i can keep the whole mag in side a paper plate if that helps

I researched the whole slam firing issue with these rifles. The issue seems to be due to the free floating firing pin that is rather heavy. If not kept clean crud build up in the bolt causes it to stick forward and not retract as the new round is chambered.

I've checked around and everyone has only good things to say about the Murphy's Gunsmith altered replacement pin, he's out of texas and sells these improved pins for both the mas and the sks to solve the slam fire problem. His solution is simple enough, he turns the slight shoulder on the pin back a little and installs a small spring over the end to keep back pressure on the pin to ensure retraction after firing. His price on them are reasonable at $25 a piece and includes a spare spring as well.

I will be ordering one as soon as i have the $ to spare just in case. i need one.

I believe the problem with mine was build up in the bolt. The firing pin was very snug when i removed it during disassembly and cleaning. I checked and there was what looked like hardened cosmoline inside the bolt and on the pin itself. It was a real bugger to get it all out but she seems good to go now. I guess ill see how she runs this weekend, my ammo should be here by then.

Back
Top Bottom