Meanwhile in Australia.........

www.pmslweb.com_the_blog_wp_content_uploads_2014_02_65_meanwhile_in_Australia_snake.jpg
c834c043f249ca133fb8de42fbaadf74.jpg

Liberty in Perth Australia, 1978 or 79.
We had to go in uniform, greens.
My brother was drinking Foster's out of those oil cans the summer before.
He's a big guy and those oil cans look like regular beers in his giant paws, I didn't know how big they were till he handed me one.

I figured it would be fun to tell him I had a Foster's on draft in Australia, he always loved that I got to travel.
So I enter the bar and order one.
I'm sitting at the bar next to this HUGE red headed lumberjack looking guy, he's not saying a word.
A little while later some fella taps me on the shoulder and says, "Hey Yank, you want to play darts for a beer?" and I declined and drank another beer.

(Now I learned something about darts by watching them that day. We use to throw the darts from one side of our cellar to the other, when the game is played correctly you're really close to the board and if you win you keep the board and somebody else plays you. Kind of like the way we handle a pool table... and I drank another beer.)

I get asked again and declined and drank another beer. About this time I'm thinking if I drink any more beer I'm gonna wobble when I walk. And I'm in UNIFORM! There can be no wobbling when in uniform, lol!

The next time I get asked the huge redheaded fellow, taps me on the shoulder (nearly knocking me off the stool) and says,"C'mon Yank lets play them, I'll buy the beer if they win.".

I didn't really see any way to get out of it without being unfriendly and did I mention I had a couple of beers and he was HUGE?

So I admit I don't know how to play and he keeps me in touch with what's going on and what to try and hit. This guys so big and we're so close to the board he can almost stick them in the board when he lifted up his leg and leaned forward.

So we win and they buy us a beer and I drink the beer and now it's our board and we win again and they buy us a beer and I drink the beer again. After I guess 3 or 4 more wins/beers I told the big guy that I had enough and we gave up the board.

So we're back on the bar stools, he's quiet like he's been all along and he shouts,"AYE MATE I'M BLOODY PISSED!".

Fear ran down my spine as I pictured the big guy wiping the floor with me IN UNIFORM!
I thought maybe I said something that offended him and I looked at the guys behind us playing darts and said, "You're pissed at them, not me right?". He said no I'm pissed, DRUNK!

Shew, crisis diverted.

Anyway the guy invited me to tea with his wife and kids that lived around the corner ended up being a real nice HUGE fella. :becky: (Tea ended up being dinner by the way.)

Back
Top Bottom