• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Meet My Neighbor - Mr. Hawk.

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
Took a few pics today. I hear him and see him fly around, but rarely see him this close. He was certainly scanning the yard for anything to pounce.

Is this a red tail? I got him in a video looking around and then taking off. :thumb:

1687750039463.png
1687750087150.png

1687750117405.png

I have one that has built a nest in a large tree next to my driveway right by the house.
I never realized how noisy they are and apparently they have complete disregard for my presence as they have buzzed my head a few times since they moved in.
I'll try to get a better picture soon.
20230621_131437.jpg

I have hawks all over my place. For such a majestic bird, they sure make the most wretched sounds. They’re always fighting over territory and running each other off. I caught one sitting on a branch on video a while back and a moment later, another came along and mounted her, went to town, then stayed briefly for a post coital smoke. Not sure if I witnessed a smooth seduction or a rape as I saw no signs of consent from the party of the first. The party of the second attempted no foreplay nor afteplay.
IMG_2563.jpeg

I can say this now that he's dead. My stepfather used to keep pigeons and hawks were his worst enemy. He tried shooting at them with high brass birdshot from his old Mossberg auto loader. But right before he died he bought an 870 Magnum and a few boxes of 3.5" magnum turkey loads. I don't know if he ever killed any hawks but he damn sure tried.
Interesting side note; ALWAYS check the gun you're picking up immediately! When I got the 870 from my Mom there was a round in the chamber. Gave me the shivers when I unloaded it.

Back
Top Bottom