Merrell Moab

ricksconnected

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
looking at getting a pair of the Moab 2 vent mids.
anybody wear these shoes daily?
good quality shoes here?
i hear good things on these shoes but a lot of reviews
are paid for these days. ok so whats your experience
with these or Merrell in general?
WHAT MODEL BOOT ARE YOU WEARING?

looking at getting a pair of the Moab 2 vent mids.
anybody wear these shoes daily?
good quality shoes here?
i hear good things on these shoes but a lot of reviews
are paid for these days. ok so whats your experience
with these or Merrell in general?
I've had a pair for 2-3 years now. They are not every day wear but once or twice a month when we go hiking or on Troop outings. I got the Merrell Moab 2 in a wide size and they are very comfortable for all day wear. I'm well pleased with them so far. I would most likely buy them again but a friend has been really talking up the Oboz that they have had for a while, I just can't find a style I like in a wide size in that brand. I would recommend running by REI and trying some on and seeing how they fit if your close to a store. I'd keep an eye out because these go on sale a couple times a year if your not in a rush to buy.

These were our issue duty boots for a short time. SHORT time. Officers had option of mids or hi side zip.
The are not waterproof, walking a medium distance in wet grass will result in wet socks. They have poor thermal regulation. HOT and soggy in the summer and cold in the winter.
They are really comfy though.

We switched to Salomon Special Forces Quest 4D GTX and they are WAY more better! Literally the only piece of kit no one in the department complains about!
YMMV.

been wearing 511 atacs for the last 6 or so years. i wear them everyday and run thru a pair a year.
but i am ruff on boots. the boot is usually in good shape, but the tread is slick...
never had a set of merrell's..

Had 3 pair of mids and boots. The vent mids are good general hikers. There are better available for more $$. Remember the vents are VENTED. Not good in cold weather but just fine in warm/hot. I forgot about that an took them to Lexington for the UGA game. It was 19 degrees. Damn near lost a toe on a horse farm visit.

I've had quite a few pairs of Merrell's over the last few years. I've had the Moab and the Goretex Moab 2s as well as a couple other styles. Overall, I like them well enough to keep wearing them for what I do. (See Also: I'm cheap and don't like spending money on footwear.) The Goretex ones are pretty much water proof, but I've never tried to see just how waterproof they actually are. They are a bit warm in the summer months though.

As far as comfort goes, I find them fairly comfortable for everyday use as long as you aren't on your feet for long periods of time. If you have to be standing or walking a lot during the day, you're probably going to want something else entirely or a good set of replacement insoles for them. I wore Moabs working in a gunstore and after 8+ hours of standing and walking in those I wanted to cut my feet off by the time I got home. Replacing the insoles helped considerably.

Bottom line is they are decent and probably ok for a bit of hiking or general use. For long hikes or heavy use, there are better options out there. Merrell's are not made for standing in all day. Better options out there for that too. I've had military issued boots that were more comfortable for standing around in than any pair of Merrell's.

I walk alot for work (surveyor). I wore Merrells for 3 -4 years. Early on, I was impressed with them, but later on the durability became questionable. I switched to Keens.
Had the same issue. Just ordered my first pair of keens today so I'm hoping I like em.

Back
Top Bottom