• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Military Surplus Rifles (WW1 & WW2)

joshua.neal2012

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
Reaction score
I am wanting to get into the Milsurp game - but (much to my chagrin) I am on a kind of self-restricted budget to do so - so I am not looking for your pristine never fired engraved M1 Garand carried by a time travelling Teddy Roosevelt into his T-Rex-mounted charge into the trenches at Iwo-Jima to rescue Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

What I AM looking for:
-Good clean bores
-A good shooting rifle
-A decent finish
-Mismatched numbers are okay with me as long as the gun shoots
-Don't need special markings or stamps - looking for a shooter not a safe queen
-Have I mentioned that I want to shoot it enough yet?
-Enfield No 1 Mk3
-Enfield No 4 Mk1
-Enfield 1917
-Mauser K98
-Springfield 1903/1903A3 (in muh dreams)
-M1 Garand (yeah right)
-Swiss K31

What I am NOT looking for:
-Bubba'd Guns.
-A finish that is pristine as the Queen's etiquette.
-A finish that has more "character" than Ke$ha after going dumpster-diving.
-Bores that look like the bowels of Godzilla.
-Moist nuggets (unless its one of the carbine models with a bayonet for a reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllly good price)

Budget:
Obviously each gun is worth a different amount of dollaz - but I don't have tons of bucks to spend - but if the gun is right, would be willing to part with some Benjamins.

(In all seriousness I am really just looking to try to keep it on the reasonable side of prices - If you have a fair price I can afford, I won’t try to haggle you in to the dirt - I like win-win sales/trades where both folks walk away happy.)

I am surprised you haven’t bought anything yet.
I have always been "interested" in them, but never did a lot of research until recently.

And, now they are getting pricey enough that I don't want to just go flippantly grab something.

I have been looking at a handful of different ones pretty seriously, but have had some expected (and unexpected) bills to pay before I can buy one without feeling like I put a toy-er-investment before business. But, I think I have business taken care of - so I am getting into the hunt earnestly.

Don't get too hung up on bore condition, you might be surprised how well some pretty rough looking ones will shoot.

Back
Top Bottom