• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Mixed feelings on thermaCELL.

I've used one but it has such a pungent smell.
I've never killed a deer while using mine.
I know wind and thermals factor in on scent but was just curious if anyone else had killed deer while using one or nothing even showed its face.
Every deer I kill before November I have that puppy cooking. It doesn't bother them a bit. Brother take the pads and cut them in thirds, that way it don't smoke as much and it still works the same and since I refill the cartridges myself the pads are most expensive part. Either way I had rather leave my bow at the house than my thermocell, I have turned around and went home and got it. All right are you ready for it, here comes the pro tip. DON'T BUY THE FRESH EARTH!!!!!!! That has spooked deer for me a few times before I figured it out, the regular ones work great and I whack deer sitting on the ground and out of stands every year. I'll bet this Saturday I'll have one down and I can assure you 100% that my thermocell will be going.

I won't go in the woods without at least one of my thermocells running. I've used em while sitting on the ground and had deer walk within 30yrds of me. I've been using one for at least 8 years.

Same here. I hunt in South GA so a thermocell is a necessity for most of the season most years. I've had deer, coyotes, and bobcats all within 15 yards while running a thermocell, both on the ground and in a tree stand, and it didnt appear to bother them. My cousin has killed several big deer including one that scored 166" while using a thermocell.

I use a ThermaCELL every time I hunt. Refill my cartridges and recharge the pads with permethrin. Never bothered the deer or hogs. As said before, stay away from the earth scent. I think PETA developed that scent.

I wonder if deer only associate a scent with danger once they connect it to danger. I've heard some old timers used wd40 as a kind of attractant until it became common on guns. Then I'm guessing it quit working. It sounds like people are using them without a problem, even on the ground.

colts colts

Speaking of old timers...I use pure Anise extract as a curiosity scent. Works like a charm on bucks and does.
Another one I used to laugh at til I seen it work, and more than once. My grandfather would put a small radio out playing classical music real soft. Deer would walk right up to it. He swore by the radio trick.

Back
Top Bottom