More 300 blackout questions.

wnchstrtnfldvlle

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
70   0
Reaction score
So I have tried several different combos and am having the same issue with all.
Everything that I have loaded so far is getting stuck in the chamber when I manually cycle it.

Few notes
.223 converted brass.
210 gr Berger bullets
10-10.5 grains IMR4198 or 8.1 grains IMR4227
Case trim lengths between 1.35-1.360

All combos have been getting stuck. And the shoulder area will have scuffs on it. Now when I started researching this problem I have found that the Lee dies tend to have shoulder issues. But I am using the Hornady dies. BUT it is a Lee turret press, set up as a single stage. The turret will push up slightly when I lower the handle to size or seat. Could this be causing the shoulder issues?

I will be trying to pick up a Hornady single stage press at a local gun shop, just to see if that could be it. But if not any other ideas?

Just get an rcbs and let your problems disappear lol. I have 100% rcbs dies and press. Tough as nails with lifetime warranty. Just sayin. But I'm about to start loading 300 AAC sibi have no experience at the moment, but I think I'm gonna use outlaw state bullets 220-225 hunting bullets for deer. Their pricey but they said that the 220 smk was a very close projectile to develope a load with before you try the pricier ones.

I have tried 2.200, and 2.100. At 2.1 I can hear the bullet compress the powder.

The rounds fit in the mags, the bullets don't have any marks, but the brass has some scuffing on the shoulder.
It is a brand new Daniel defense upper. Hopefully that isn't the issue.

I bet your problem is a resizing issue. When you resize you haze tub push that shoulder back. If it's lake city brass you have to push it back harder. Try adjusting your resizing decamping die until it touches the shell holder and give it a little umph once it reaches the end of the stroke and the shell holder is touching the die

Last edited:
Sounds like your overall length is fine...and if there aren't any marks on the bullet from the lands in the barrel, that would support a good OAL. The brand of press isn't the issue, it sounds to me like you don't have your dies timed right and the shoulder angle isn't right...did you seat the die correctly in the press?

I bet your problem is a resizing issue. When you resize you haze tub push that shoulder back. If it's lake city brass you have to push it back harder. Try adjusting your resizing decamping die until it touches the shell holder and give it a little umph once it reaches the end of the stroke and the shell holder is touching the die

That's what I'm thinking too...sounds like the shoulder is too high up on the case due to the die not being seated deeply enough.

I followed the instructions with the dies. Raised the ram with shell holder all the way up. Screwed die in until it touched the shell holder. Then tightened the lock ring.

Should I rotate it a little further?

Back
Top Bottom