• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Most accurate chronograph?

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
This summer I plan on pushing my 5.56 gun as far as possible and I need a good chronograph to do some ammo testing. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos and would like some real world experience. Im looking at the labradar unit because the data will upload to a computer where I can study it. I'm looking for accuracy over all else in the chronograph, even if I have to write the info down on a notebook.

What works?

You've got some choices, some of them quite good.

If you're interested in purely velocity at the muzzle, some of the old kinds of chronos work pretty well, as does the Magnetospeed (as long as you don't shoot the bayonet, no matter how 'lightly'). The Magnetospeed does seem to be very accurate - and I'm sure that some of the old school ones are too.

The Labradar and the Garmin Xeno are very different - they're doppler based (and in the case of the LabRadar, capable of logging the velocity of a projectile thru' its whole trajectory) but being radar devices, they're at risk of picking up 'noise' and bogus reflections from other sources such as other shooters. I've seen this happen with the LabRadar, and I suspect the Garmin might be the same way, but with some careful aiming I'd expect that you could get this down to a minimum.

I haven't played with a Garmin yet but the reviews seem to be very positive. The LabRadar seems to me to be an expensive option once you ad a lot of the options that most people want. The Magnetospeed is less expensive, except when you have to replace the bayonet.

All three of them have the ability to interface to a computer or smartphone.

You've got some choices, some of them quite good.

If you're interested in purely velocity at the muzzle, some of the old kinds of chronos work pretty well, as does the Magnetospeed (as long as you don't shoot the bayonet, no matter how 'lightly'). The Magnetospeed does seem to be very accurate - and I'm sure that some of the old school ones are too.

The Labradar and the Garmin Xeno are very different - they're capable of logging the velocity of a projectile thru' its whole trajectory but being radar devices, they're at risk of picking up 'noise' and bogus reflections from other sources such as other shooters. I've seen this happen with the LabRadar, and I suspect the Garmin might be the same way, but with some careful aiming I'd expect that you could get this down to a minimum.

I haven't played with a Garmin yet but the reviews seem to be very positive. The LabRadar seems to me to be an expensive option once you ad a lot of the options that most people want. The Magnetospeed is less expensive, except when you have to replace the bayonet.

All three of them have the ability to interface to a computer or smartphone.
The under the barrel type won't work for all applications I want to use it on, I don't think it'll work on my main gun ether as I run a suppressor that's wide and long.

I got an ad with both the Garmin and the Labradar on sale and both seem solid, but there's only so much I can tell from a YouTube video. The Garmin is small and comes with a tripod, but the labradar looks like it would be easier to use. I might even be that guy at the range with the laptop hooked to the meter gathering info.

The Garmin is much easier to use than the lab radar and the magnetospeed. I own a magnetospeed and am done with it after getting the Xero. I don't own a lab radar but have a friend who does and it is a total pain vs the garmin. So much so that he's ditching the lab radar for the Xero as well. The Xero has registered all suppressed shots & adds no time to setup. I'll put it up even when I don't need get mv just to because it's that easy. I'll make you a deal on my magnetospeed if you want it :cool:

The Garmin is much easier to use than the lab radar and the magnetospeed. I own a magnetospeed and am done with it after getting the Xero. I don't own a lab radar but have a friend who does and it is a total pain vs the garmin. So much so that he's ditching the lab radar for the Xero as well. The Xero has registered all suppressed shots & adds no time to setup. I'll put it up even when I don't need get mv just to because it's that easy. I'll make you a deal on my magnetospeed if you want it :cool:
I appreciate it, but I cast a wider net for info and the Garmin got the vote. I just finished up using it. 100% all.the way. Data collection is simple, even hooked it to my phone so I can see it all at once. Suppressed, crowded range, it performed flawlessly.

The under the barrel type won't work for all applications I want to use it on, I don't think it'll work on my main gun ether as I run a suppressor that's wide and long.

I got an ad with both the Garmin and the Labradar on sale and both seem solid, but there's only so much I can tell from a YouTube video. The Garmin is small and comes with a tripod, but the labradar looks like it would be easier to use. I might even be that guy at the range with the laptop hooked to the meter gathering info.
I use this product with a can.

Garmin is the best and easiest to use of any I’ve used. Best money I ever spent plus lifetime warranty from Brownells. You can put app on phone to store info from it .

All the information to study.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240427_213059_ShotView.jpg
    Screenshot_20240427_213059_ShotView.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom