• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Motorcycle carb issue?

grimreaper

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
42   0
Reaction score
Went out for a ride on the honda vlx 600 last fall and 10 mins away from the house it lost power and stalled on 4th gear. After that it's been running lean I assume because any throttle given will make it stall. If I give it slow throttle it will rev up and eventually jump to proper rpms. Any ideas on what I should be checking? I am comfertable with a wrench but am ashamed to say not very knowledgeable with bikes. Any help would be great thanks. -john

How long did it sit up? How clean is the tank?

I fixed a VLX for a friend last year that had similar issues. When I took the tank off all the fuel lines were very soft. Ordered new lines, in tank filter and petcock diaphragm. While waiting for those to come in I drained the carb and filled with straight Seafoam fired it up for just a few seconds to get in the jets. The SF stayed in the carb for about a week until I got around to putting back together. Drained the carb again and filled the tank w/ non-ethanol.

It's been going good since.

I tried running seafoam in the tank left it on for a few hours to cycle when the gas was low but no help. The bike was literally running perfect one second and then failed.

Blocked jet perhaps. Strip and clean.
Most likely this will fix it.^^
Also be sure your tank is clean, the fuel valve flows, the pump runs & flows, and the fuel filter flows. If the pumps not working, I think these also have a fuel pump relay that's known to go bad.

year model.
early shadow 600's had duel carbs,later had a single with an accelerator pump.
also,check your plugs. it has 4 even though you only see 2. they run like total crap when only one set of plugs have been changed.

Back
Top Bottom