My kid's going to wear a football helmet from now on...

lesgobrandon

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
14   0
Reaction score
Happened again. In Home Depot, after multiple "Slow down, buddy." And "It's not the playground..." he trips, and face plants on the cement floor. I thought for a moment he was fine, broke his fall, until he tilted his head back more. There is was, a gash under the chin.

Well, pressure to it with a napkin that he had from the hot chocolate they gave at the door... and out to the car to the medkit. Slow bleed, antiseptic, and a would closure device. Then off to urgent care. Again told my best option is Scottish Rite. So 5 hrs later, another set of stitches (7).

He didn't cry at all, during the entire thing. Sadly getting use to it. I just want him to get the scuffed knees, not always going to the extreme.

He's a tough four year old. Second set of stitches in two months. Almost there to get the helmet, pads, and bubble wrap for the kid. Nah... but I wish he'd slow down...

Anyways, these things helped out, slowed the bleed well.

If Kirby Smart reads this post he might get a scholarship offer. Scars usually are reminders of “do it different next time”.👍🏻

Glad your kid is okay.

As far as helmets go, I made my kids wear helmets skating and biking their entire childhood. When my youngest teenager headed off on a skateboard without a helmet, I said, “I can’t make you wear a helmet once you leave this house but you need to wear one.” To which my kid replied, “oh dad, no one wears a helmet, they’re not cool!” So I said,”you know what else isn’t cool? Breathing through a tube in the ICU with a brain injury because you didn’t wear a helmet!” I got a dismissive eye roll, and the kid took the helmet that day.

One month later, that same kid was in the ICU, breathing through a tube, fighting for life with part of the skull removed to relieve the pressure.

My kid eventually had to have a lobectomy to remove damaged brain tissue. After months of intensive care, rehab, and ironically wearing a helmet full time to protect the soft spot where the skull was removed, had to learn to walk, talk, and even breathe again.

Our generation makes jokes about how we survived our childhoods drinking from garden hoses and never wearing seatbelts or helmets but to God I pray you never see your kid fighting for their life. We were lucky, my kid wasn’t the only one in the ICU for that type of injury…but my kid did survive. My child will never be the same, and we’ll have to provide support as long as we live…but alive.

I hope some of y’all will read this and teach your kids the importance of wearing a helmet and insist they do. Even if it’s “only a skateboard” and it’s “just on the driveway”. They only get one brain…don’t stop pushing the issue like I did. You may live to regret it. Your kid may not.

IMG_3550.jpeg
IMG_4119.jpeg
IMG_3309.jpeg
IMG_3446.jpeg

Not just the kids, the gal that used to cut my hair had her 28yo skateboard instructor son go out doing stunts without a helmet or pads. Didn’t need ‘em.
Ended up in ICU with fractured skull and brain damage. Finally mostly recovered, but it was a long time getting there.
It’s a miracle any boy who grew up in the decades (centuries?) before the 90‘s survived to adulthood.

Glad your kid is okay.

As far as helmets go, I made my kids wear helmets skating and biking their entire childhood. When my youngest teenager headed off on a skateboard without a helmet, I said, “I can’t make you wear a helmet once you leave this house but you need to wear one.” To which my kid replied, “oh dad, no one wears a helmet, they’re not cool!” So I said,”you know what else isn’t cool? Breathing through a tube in the ICU with a brain injury because you didn’t wear a helmet!” I got a dismissive eye roll, and the kid took the helmet that day.

One month later, that same kid was in the ICU, breathing through a tube, fighting for life with part of the skull removed to relieve the pressure.

My kid eventually had to have a lobectomy to remove damaged brain tissue. After months of intensive care, rehab, and ironically wearing a helmet full time to protect the soft spot where the skull was removed, had to learn to walk, talk, and even breathe again.

Our generation makes jokes about how we survived our childhoods drinking from garden hoses and never wearing seatbelts or helmets but to God I pray you never see your kid fighting for their life. We were lucky, my kid wasn’t the only one in the ICU for that type of injury…but my kid did survive. My child will never be the same, and we’ll have to provide support as long as we live…but alive.

I hope some of y’all will read this and teach your kids the importance of wearing a helmet and insist they do. Even if it’s “only a skateboard” and it’s “just on the driveway”. They only get one brain…don’t stop pushing the issue like I did. You may live to regret it. Your kid may not.

View attachment 6519248View attachment 6519250View attachment 6519291View attachment 6519296
Thank you for sharing your experience all of my grandkids will see this. I’m glad you’re son recovered

Wow - prayers for his healing.
When I was a child, I was really messed up from what I have been told. Of course I don’t remember but I was in leg braces for 6+yrs, I had all kinds of physical problems, I wore a football helmet for years…. Never slowed me down one bit my folks and brothers said. They told me I was in the hospital at least a couple of times a month for the first 7-8 yrs …..mostly for being a kid ! Lol. That also included my physical conditions too.…but I was very wild and headstrong they told me.
Kids will be kids…but there are ways to keep them safe. Do what you can. Try not to discourage them too much from being themselves but keep them safe .
Good luck ! :)

I would not be here had I not had a helmet on when I loaded my motorcycle 8 years ago. Grabbed it cause it was raining and when the bike fell off the trailer and the helmet hit the pavement saving my noggin. I was out cold for 10 mins as it was, would have been dead without it.

Back
Top Bottom