My new barrel floating tool

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
So the last week while sitting in the deer stand I have trying to think of what to do with my old 270 barrel. I decided to cut about an inch off the chamber and make a tool that would hopefully help keep lines straight and speed up the process of using a file on the sides of the barrel channel and help free float.

I had a pices of 1/4 steel tubing welded for a handle.

For sand paper I chose the long garnett cloth 120 grit. This paper is about 6 inches wide and is plyable enough to wrap around the barrel and be secured by hand or clips. Unfortunately I don't have a project stock at the moment.

Some guy's gonna see that one picture and say, "hey, I want a carry handle for my hunting rifle, too!"

As far as free-floating guidelines go, what is the generally accepted clearance (gap) between barrel and stock? I have a Ruger American Rifle and they brag you can slide a dollar bill all the way up to the chamber between the forearm and barrel. Just wondering what it "should" be.

Love this kind of post, btw.

That oughta simplify the process some and keep everything even and true. I've always heard of the dollar bill test, but I usually use a business card. I guess I've always been one of those "anything worth doing is worth overdoing" guys. :high5:

Back
Top Bottom