• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need a little Expert Opinion from the ODT crowd or: What Gun for My Elderly Parents?

User170512

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Occasionally Banned, but OK
49   0
Reaction score
OK, my mom received some threats through her work and I am the one they turned to for firearms outfitting...naturally. Well, they are pretty inexperienced as far as weapons go, they were both teachers and no LEO/military backgorund. I went over that night and showed them the 3 best options I had for them in the 4 hours I had. I was able to cover muzzle control, trigger control and the basics of operation.

My three availables: 12 ga pump, .357 revolver and a 9mm semi.

Well, needless to say all three freaked them out a bit (a good thing in a way) and I had my reservations as to whether they could properly operate them. The 12 (Rem 870) left them seeming confused on how to load it, safety, cycling. The revolver was obviously pretty straight-forward (S&W 66), and the semi was a little over their heads, operation wise (but they liked the 15+1 capacity). I ended up leaving them the 66 and a lock, and later picked up a GunVault box for them as well, but...

My real question is, what would be the best platform? I am thinking something with a built in light/laser, plenty of "power" and capacity, simplicity/ease of operation, along with extreme reliability. My two picks were the 870 in 12 or 20 and an semi with a light slide and a rail. They are in their 70's and my grandmother in her 90's could only operate the 66 in SA (trigger finger strength). She is older, but ready to stand and fight to protect her daughter. Dad wants the gun on his side of the bed at night because that's just who he is, but he has Parkinson's and depending on where he is in the med-cycle, mom is worried about his reaction times (the meds seem to slow down all nerve stuff sometimes). Oh, and mom is a southpaw. I have them in process for GWLs and will work to train them in whatever platform ends up being chosen.

I would love to hear your thoughts all the way around, that may be the shining best of what this forum is all about, screw that Bedouin crap.

My personal opinion for an inexperienced shooter is a Ruger LCR loaded with .38's.....they are lightweight, hammer and trigger are not too difficult, and less recoil and bang with the .38. Capacity is limited but hopefully just the sight of a firearm will stop most crimes from occurring. You can add a crimson trace for added accuracy and intimidation. The main reason I choose a revolver is simplicity of use. You don't have to worry with racking a slide properly....i.e all the way back and all of the way forward so the bullet seats properly. There is also no safety to forget to take off or just get you confused in the heat of the moment. The 20 ga is a great idea as well as a judge....but based upon your thread, they are not ready for the power of a shotshell. Maybe a .38 for the time being and work up to a judge, governor, and shotgun.

The 12ga is going to be difficult for them to manage recoil wise. There is also the issue of inexperienced shooters short shucking under stress. Unless they are willing to really put in the time to build up that muscle memory with a pump of any kind I would suggest a 20ga semi if they really wanted to go the shotgun route. The 20ga is plenty effective at home defense ranges and the semi-auto function takes a lot of the mental and muscle work out of shooting it. The 20ga also has a very light recoil. A revolver is okay but most revolvers have a 12lb trigger which can prove difficult to use for someone older or suffering from arthritis like most older folk do. In addition to that again under stress loading can be a problem for the inexperienced. Reloading may or may not be an issue however with a low capacity revolver knowing how to perform quick reloads is important IMO. Finally we have the 9mm. Out of the three this is probably going to be the best option. Low recoil, good capacity and easy to manage. It will not take them much range time to get loading magazines down or even clearing malfunctions.

If you had the budget though, I would suggest an AR15. It is easy to operate, light weight and has almost no recoil. Additionally for home defense I can't imagine the need to use more than thirty rounds, however if the need arises the AR15 is very easy to reload. The rifle also gives them a little more fire power encase their attackers are wearing body armor, which is not unheard of in some home invasions.

I would spend a good amount of time with them and firearms until they find something they are comfortable with. If they are comfortable with something they are more likely to use it when it counts. Good luck.

Last edited:
My personal opinion for an inexperienced shooter is a Ruger LCR loaded with .38's.....they are lightweight, hammer and trigger are not too difficult, and less recoil and bang with the .38. Capacity is limited but hopefully just the sight of a firearm will stop most crimes from occurring. You can add a crimson trace for added accuracy and intimidation. The main reason I choose a revolver is simplicity of use. You don't have to worry with racking a slide properly....i.e all the way back and all of the way forward so the bullet seats properly. There is also no safety to forget to take off or just get you confused in the heat of the moment. The 20 ga is a great idea as well as a judge....but based upon your thread, they are not ready for the power of a shotshell. Maybe a .38 for the time being and work up to a judge, governor, and shotgun.

You cannot count on just the sight of a firearm stopping a crime, especially if there is already an actual threat as in this case.

A Glock or other modern striker fired pistol, with one already in the chamber will do all that a revolver will do with over twice the capacity.

You cannot count on just the sight of a firearm stopping a crime, especially if there is already an actual threat as in this case.

A Glock or other modern striker fired pistol, with one already in the chamber will do all that a revolver will do with over twice the capacity.

^This. Glock 17 or 19 loaded and ready to go. Small amount of recoil, with point and shoot ergonomics. Get them to the range for some training asap.

How about reporting those threats to the police? Let them arrest those making the threats. How about a burglar alarm? How about a 9mm Carbine? Much more accurate than a pistol for a novice shooter (like me), and much less recoil. Are they going to conceal carry? If not I wouldn't bother with a pistol.

I agree with Chemical Soldier. The 357 revolver is your best bet....loaded with 38's. Not complicated easy to use and shoot. No shot gun or semi auto....very confusing for inexperienced older folks.

Back
Top Bottom