• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need advice on a hunting trip for my son in law, May 2017

Haven't decided completely if I like him yet, this is a new one. Thats why I'm willing to take him hunting......if it's good enough for Dick Cheney it's good enough for me. ;o)
Good on you for giving him a shot. My father in law took me hunting pheasant in Oregon the first or second time I ever met him. Since then we have fished and hunted in oregon, Texas, Georgia, and Alaska and have a great friendship. I fact my wife is a little jealous that her dad spends more time with me than he does her...

Looking for advice folks. Although I've been shooting since I was a wee lad I've never been hunting. In May my son-in-law is coming out for a visit and extremely interested in going on a hunt. It appears the options in May are Turkeys and Hogs. I'm pretty sure he's thinking of "hunting" as bagging a game animal, not as "marching around the woods all day long and seeing nothing bigger than a squirrel". Subsequently, the closer I can get to a "sure thing" is likely best. Towards that end I've looked at a couple places that feature hog hunting and those seem to be based around feeders. If that approach is the most likely for a couple of "newbies", so be it.

Any suggestions including specific places/businesses that might be able to help me would be appreciated. PM me or post here and I'll read it.
If you want to do upland game hunting take him to Federwild Plantation. Guaranteed to be a hunt you will ever forget. Take him for the combo duck, quail, and pheasant hunt. Go the night before and get an evening duck hunt in as well. after the hunt they have an award winning wild game chef prepare a steak dinner so good you'll need a cigarette afterwards. In the morning you duck hunt at sun-up then go in the lodge for a wild game breakfast. Then you hunt quail and pheasant until noon, then go back to the lodge for a quail lunch. After a nap you hunt quail and pheasant until mid-afternoon then they clean and package you game for your trip home. It ain't cheap, but you'll never forget it.

Back
Top Bottom