• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need beginner x-bow advice

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
Was at Cabelas last Saturday and was looking at different crossbows. I dont know anything about them but I know that if I get a bow thats what I want. I mentioned to my wife that I would like to get a crossbow but that I wish she would come out with me. She said that if I got her a bow she would shoot with me. Shes tolerate of my gun hobby but she took archery in high school so I'm thinking this would be a good way to get her involved a little bit. Plus the range I go to has an archery range and can't you also shoot bows in your backyard? They arent under the same laws as firearms right?

So what do you recommend for a crossbow under say $300 for strictly recreation use. I think the higher the FPS the higher the draw weight right? If so I dont need the biggest and the strongest because I dont want to be tired myself out cocking it.

First, No bows are not a firearm so you can shoot them in your back yard. Now about your crossbow question. Under $300.00 you will be hard pressed to find a good new crossbow. What I would suggest is to find a good used crossbow. You are new to the sport, so you don't really know if your going to like it or not. You can find a good used crossbow on craigslist, pawn shops, and on here in that price range. Hope that helps

First, No bows are not a firearm so you can shoot them in your back yard. Now about your crossbow question. Under $300.00 you will be hard pressed to find a good new crossbow. What I would suggest is to find a good used crossbow. You are new to the sport, so you don't really know if your going to like it or not. You can find a good used crossbow on craigslist, pawn shops, and on here in that price range. Hope that helps

Thanks. Looking at Cabelas site I was wondering if I should up the budget to $400.

In my opinion, I would look on here. I see them on here quite a bit used for around 300-500 and they are 500-1000 new.

You should check your local ordnances about shooting a bow or crossbow in your backyard because it varies from county to county and city to city. Here in Coweta Co. you have to be 300 ft. from any dwelling in ALL directions or have written permission from your neighbors if under 300 ft. Arrows are DEADLY projectiles just like bullets and they will travel long distances if you miss or shoot through your target. Invest in a good target too.

I had a long conversion recently with the manager at the archery department at cabelas and he agreed that you're hard pressed to find anything better in it's price range. He also said that he knows a lot of people don't feel right unless they spent $1000 on their crossbow, but at the end of the day their isn't a lot of difference in the majority." Now that's not as to say just get a pos but I'm pretty sure you're going to be very with any reputable new crossbow. Amazon reviews are your friend

I had a long conversion recently with the manager at the archery department at cabelas and he agreed that you're hard pressed to find anything better in it's price range. He also said that he knows a lot of people don't feel right unless they spent $1000 on their crossbow, but at the end of the day their isn't a lot of difference in the majority." Now that's not as to say just get a pos but I'm pretty sure you're going to be very with any reputable new crossbow. Amazon reviews are your friend

Thanks and I was looking at the Fang based on the price.

I found an Excalibur on here last year. Bought it for my Daughter to use. She is 6 and can hit a bottle cap with it at 20 yards. Got a really good deal on it. I really like it because of the simplicity. No cams, no cables, just a single string from limb to limb.
If you are ever in Villa Rica come by and shoot ours before you buy one.

Back
Top Bottom