Need direction!

Blyco

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Thugnificent
51   0
Reaction score
I need some input on a new problem. Got an AR with a 5.7 upper a couple weeks ago from a great fellow ODTr. Finally had a chance at range time last week. Loaded up 50, and shot perfect. My whole reason for the purchase was to use with a can. I emailed AAC and confirmed that the 5.7 would be O.K. with my SPRM-4. All Good. As soon as I got the host, I got the Blackout flash hider and was ready to roll.

After my first 50 without the can, I shot another 10 or so, and then loaded up the suppressor. The first 2 or 3 was Sweet Ginger Brown. I considered this a possible HD weapon. No .22lr quiet of course, but no need for hearing protection. I also fitted a tritium front post. It was perfect for what I was looking for.

Of course, as cool things often do, it went to crap. After the first 2 or 3, it was total failure. I only tried 2 more, and that was enough. The helpfull guys on the other side of the counter took a look, and it wasn't pretty. The 2 that I tried were bent at about a 20 degree angle at the tip, where it is necked-down, with the projectile forced back into the cartidge, with powder leaking out. Yeah, stomach doing flips on that news.

An initial assessment was that the buffer was too light. After breaking it down, it turns out that it does have a heavy buffer. The setup is a delayed-blowback. The added back-pressure of the can is huge. When the action returns to guide the next round, instead of a smooth path into the chamber, the round slams so hard into the rim of the barrel that it is destoyed. The only reason that I had 2-3 great shots is that the plastic magazine took the brunt, and then failed.

How can I slow this down? My knowlege of AR's is more limited than I thought. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Ok got a couple suggestions. Take the buffer apart and add weight to it. Add an extra power buffer spring. Try a combination of the added weight and extra power spring. With no gas system I can't say adjustable gas block.

Back
Top Bottom