• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need help with cleaning a painted 700

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soberhunter

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Folks I am new to ODT, posting anyway. I picked up a couple of new to me toys this weekend. A Mossberg 835 ulti-mag turkey gun. It cleaned up well so no problem there. However the second one is a model 700, date code AF which puts it 1980. I am not sure it was cleaned very often. The bore cleaned up nice, no pitting or rust so it is good there. The problem is the weapon was painted camo, stock, bolt, barrel, action, scope, the whole 9+ yards. I can refinish the wood stock, or at least I think I can. But the metal parts are where my concerns are. The paint is chipping off in spots, it looks like cheap spray paint, and the finish looks intact. What can I use to remove the paint and not damage the finish underneath?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

You have a few options... You can media blast it, I recommend professional only! You can also try astone. I know it sounds bad but it dries quick, I use it before I DURACOAT firearms. * Just make sure you put it in a case and don't even fingerprint it. It will rust faster than a 74 Pinto. After you done if you plan on using it make sure you re-lubricate firearm. Welcome to the trader~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom