Need rifle barrel counterbored

You're talking about counterboring the muzzle end-- a type of recrowning, that actually gets rid of any real "crown" but sets-back the true uncrowned muzzle behind a shallow ring of metal that protects it at the very end of the gun's barrel?

R.c04c8ab2214dc21c08607f90763d1bfe

My arisaka shoots all over the place.. I can drop a bullet down the muzzle and it stops 1 inch down.. I need a gunsmith to get down to good rifiling if someone knows one

So, if that rifle barrel's bore is worn and its rifling eaten-away with corrosion or worn thin from use or improper cleaning.... you think a gunsmith can grind down the bore and get more good rifling from somewhere, hidden in the steel?

Sounds like what that rifle needs is a new barrel.

Or, if you have a gazillion dollars to spend, the old barrel could be sent to a custom barrel making factory to be drilled out and rechambered and re-rifled to a LARGER caliber, so you'll have to buy or start reloading some different ammo.

If you reload, here's a possible oddball solution:

1-- confirm through careful measuring and slugging the barrel from both ends that it's too wide though its entire length.

2-- try to source some bullets made for the Italian WWII rifle, the 6.5 Carcano. Those bullets are actually .268 instead of the standard .264" diameter.

3-- Reload some of this custom non-spec ammo for this gun, but make sure you clearly mark all the boxes of ammo you produce this way that the bullets are oversized, and NOT to be used in standard 6.5mm guns.

I am guessing barrel erosion with possible throat erosion. I think a new barrel is in order to get it back on track. If the gun is worth anything then re-barrel it. If not file 13 it and go from there. If I am wrong someone let me know.

If you have enough barrel to cut off the worn out portion and remain legal…..call Bob Simms in Palmetto. He can chop and recrown at a reasonable price.

But, you might want to borrow a borescope, first. The barrel may have other wear/damage that makes it a waste of time.

The crown does not have to be perfect for 100yard deer killing. You might be able to do a DIY project with a hack saw, vise, and file.

Back
Top Bottom