• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some electronic/electrical advice

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
We have a trunk or treat event coming up at our church on 10/30 for a couple of hours. Wife and I are putting up a scary tent to highten the scary factor I want to use a fog machine. I have one on order from Walmart and can't find out much detail other than it's 110 volts and I think it uses about 400 watts for the heating element and small fan. We are not going to be graced with a 100 outlet and I was wondering if my battery back up for my computer would power the thing for short burst?
The battery backup is getting a bit old but it's an APC Back-UPS ES 550 and the ads says it has this potential to provide this much power:

Output​

• Output Power Capacity: 210 Watts / 350 VA
  • Max Configurable Power: 210 Watts / 350 VA
  • Nominal Output Voltage: 120V
  • Output Frequency (sync to mains): 50/60Hz +/- 3Hz
  • Topology: Standby
  • Waveform Type: Stepped approximation to a sinewave
  • Output Connections: (3) NEMA 5-15R (Battery Backup), (3) NEMA 5-15R (Surge Protection)
Not being electricity/electronics smart I am asking, if I plug the fog machine into this thing is it going to create fog or is all the smoke going to come out of the UPS and then I won't have one for my computer? Is this enough information to make an informed guess?

I think my wife will be really ticked off if it comes in when she is at work, I unplug all the computer stuff and plug that stuff in and either the house is full of fog or the office is full of escaping smoke from the UPS.

Thanks and Happy Halloween almost
If you happen to have kids and a few minutes, come by Bethany Christian Church in Dallas on 10/30 from 5p - 7p, free hotdogs and chips and water and all the candy you can waddle away with.

Sorry, 400 watts.
Oh well, if it won't work, and if Mrs. Klif won't turn loose a couple hundred bucks to buy a small generator from Harbor Freight then I guess my fall back will be the old dry ice in warm water with a small battery powered fan blowing the fog around.

if you only need 400w then best bet is most likely an inverter

Thanks, I'm shopping on amazon right now. If the fogger draws 400 watts should I go for a 500 watt inverter or is 400 sufficient. This is really sad, I'm a HAM radio operator and in my earlier years in the 50's and 60's I built my own transmitters and amplifier and could spout off answers to these kinds of questions in a hurry, but in my 70's my mind tends to drift and I have to ask for a lot of help when it comes to this kind of thing.

Thanks, I'm shopping on amazon right now. If the fogger draws 400 watts should I go for a 500 watt inverter or is 400 sufficient. This is really sad, I'm a HAM radio operator and in my earlier years in the 50's and 60's I built my own transmitters and amplifier and could spout off answers to these kinds of questions in a hurry, but in my 70's my mind tends to drift and I have to ask for a lot of help when it comes to this kind of thing.
you can, its pretty minimal price increase. Theoretically it SHOULD be fine at 400 but some headway is always better but they're supposed to be rated for 400 continuous and 1000w peak

you can, its pretty minimal price increase. Theoretically it SHOULD be fine at 400 but some headway is always better but they're supposed to be rated for 400 continuous and 1000w peak
Thanks, I'll go with the more is better just to be on the safe side. I would hate for my truck to burn down in the middle of the church parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom