• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Need some leather advice - Aircrew Survival Knife

JHV2

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to have the sheath of my father's Navy Aircrew Survival Knife restored. The leather is ok but the stiching is rotten. The snaps are rusted shut, and some of the ends are worn/torn away.

Opinions please.
1) Should I keep it as is, and just get a replica, or get someone to work on it.

2) Can anyone recommend a leather worker who does good restoration work?

[Broken External Image]:
A full set of pictures can be seen by clicking here.:

[Broken External Image]:
[Broken External Image]:
[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
My issue is in pretty much the same shape ...I bought a replica and maintain the orig just as it is...It is an issue aircrew survival knife.

My issue is in pretty much the same shape ...I bought a replica and maintain the orig just as it is...It is an issue aircrew survival knife.
The one in the pic has already been repaired once, the top backstrap has been replaced. In its original issue condition, there were slots on each side of the strap where it would slide over a belt or strap, but if it were me, I'd still keep it the way I got it from my father.

If you use it, I say get it restored and use as much of the original leather as possible. That way, when you pass it down to your kids/grandkids it'll mean more since they're more connected to you. If it's just going to sit in a safe/shelf anyway, keep it as is.

For $17+shipping you can purchase a newer type sheath for the same knife.

Here ya go: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=ON6152

FYI....that's not a KBAR (in the sense like a Marine KBAR). Possibly made by KBAR but probably Ontario Knife Co.
Like mentioned already, it is a US Aircrew Survival Knife. I've had one from my father as well since I was a kid. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. You are correct it is not a KBAR. I have changed the OP. It is from the '50s and was made my Camillus. Apparently in the 60's the knife and sheath were redesigned. That is the version that AtlJet pointed me to.

I am not interested in using it, just showing it and passing along, so I do not need something to stand up to the rigor. I think I would like restoration of the top-strap, snaps and stitching. It is kind of like re-bluing a family heirloom revolver -- it may upset the purists but will look better for "telling the story".

This one was carried by my Father on submarine patrol in the 50's. I'm convinced his wing of p2v's and their nuclear :eek: depth charges are the reason they don't now speak Russian in the Caribbean.

Any recommendation of talented leatherworkers?

Last edited:
I would leave everything as is on the sheath if you're not going to use it. From this point on, use some Aussie Leather Conditioner to restore and protect the leather. The stuff is awesome. It's the last thing I apply on my belts before I ship them out. Apply it with your hands, let the conditioner penetrate the leather for a while, and then buff it lightly. It has beeswax in it which will protect it from moisture. Best $10 you'll spend.

On the other hand, if you still going to use the knife, send someone the sheath (the template) and have them reproduce a new one. I would be afraid that the leather would tear if you trying taking out the stitches and rivets out. :)

One thing I do is maybe once a year , I rub a little oil into the leather disc handle to preserve the leather otherwise it will dry out and start coming apart...care for the leather like you would a nice pair of boots or holster and it will be with you throughout your lifetime..and your son will be using it and his too if taken care of.
If he is still in business Billy Moss, Canton Shoe Shop or Bo Ballard at the saddle shop in Fairmount could prob fix you up...
Mine too is Camillus as is my original KBAR . I got them in 1966

Back
Top Bottom