never sen this before

Do you guys have the crazy infestations here every 15 years, or 20, or however many years it is that they take to cycle (I cant remember).
Yep, there are different hatches of varying lengths so the years are all different. Some summers are really LOUD. I like it... :)

Edit, here you go 17 years but the broods are different sizes so the noise varies by year. http://www.gpb.org/news/2013/06/03/cicadas-have-come-to-georgia
Also note the note asking for specimens to be sent to UGA.

Last edited:
I snagged this one one night.
i41.tinypic.com_2igojtz.jpg

Yep, there are different hatches of varying lengths so the years are all different. Some summers are really LOUD. I like it... :)

I like the sound too. Even when they are at their loudest it is still somehow kind of peaceful, or relaxing or something. It makes you want to grab a big cold glass of tea, or lemonade, or a couple fingers of bourbon - or whatever, and tell everyone to just shut the f up for a few minutes. I also remember collecting the shells when I was little and filling up mason jars with them. Good times.

I like the sound too. Even when they are at their loudest it is still somehow kind of peaceful, or relaxing or something. It makes you want to grab a big cold glass of tea, or lemonade, or a couple fingers of bourbon - or whatever, and tell everyone to just shut the f up for a few minutes. I also remember collecting the shells when I was little and filling up mason jars with them. Good times.

My experience is more of a cover-your-ears-and-run-for-the-nearest-enclosed-space.... A few of those things at full volume kills me. And I can't hear jack crap out of my right ear. Gotta protect the good one.

Back
Top Bottom