• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New .45acp load

Adam5

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
148   1
Reaction score
I’m thinking of working with a new load. I have plenty of CFE Pistol, and looking at using some with .45acp Hornady XTP 230gr JHP in my Colt Gold Cup National Match.

Hornady calls for a minimum load of 5.2gr @ 700 fps and a max load of 6.9gr @ 900 fps. The show 6.0gr @ 800 fps. I’m thinking of starting at 6.0gr, and working up to about 6.5gr or so. These will be carry rounds, so I want enough speed to reliably expand.

Their test weapon was a 5” Springfield 1911, which should be about the same performance as my 5” Colt 1911.

Does anyone use a similar load for .45acp?

I always start at the start load.
Unless you have exactly the same components and lot numbers, pressures will be different than test conditions.
I find fast powders and light charges are most accurate.
Stay safe

Yea. Except for the fact there isn’t a single documented case of this ever. Not one. No jurisprudence what so ever.

This is nonsense and has been since someone started spouting it 30-40 years ago. When liberals make up stories to back up their narrative we call BS. But when gun guys make up stories to back their narrative, we’re like “yea, that sounds right”?

Every “story” I read on this subject is some wild eyed “just imagine this” scenario. Not once has the story been, “today so and so was charged with murder because he made his own ammo”. And I’ve looked. Extensively. Yet this wives tale lives on in internet lore.

If you end up facing repercussions from a SD shooting it’s not going to be because you’re carrying hand loads. It’s going to be because they found fault in your decision making process. In your judgement. In a million other things. The ammo in your gun is so far down the line it’s not even an after thought.

If you feel more comfortable carrying factory ammo then by all means do so. If you want to carry hand loads I also feel pretty confident in saying do so. Get some training and practice. That’s going to be a more valuable defense than “but I was carrying factory ammo.”

I know it probably sounds like I’m being snarky, but I promise I am not. I do understand the concerns that you raise when talking about this subject. And I’m not obviously to the fact that just because it’s never happened happened doesn’t mean it couldn’t. But with the number of SD shootings that have been adjudicated to this point it’s highly unlikely. I’ve spent a lot of time in a court room on the prosecutorial side, and this just isn’t the way it works. I want people to know that.

I’m just trying to give the other side of the debate because at the end of the day it’s a decision that everyone has make for themselves.

In my experience, finding a reliable OAL that cycles in all my weapons is the biggest bugger to deal with on the .45acp reloads. Plunk testing all my barrels and adjusting the OAL to perform in all takes a bit of time.

You should be fine to start mid charge and inspect your brass for pressure and soot.

Sooty brass and no pressure signs, up the charge and continue until brass is looking cleaner and no pressure signs.

CFE Pistol did very well for me in 9mm, .40sw, .357sig, and .45acp.

Remember, speed isn’t as important as consistent repetitive results on paper.

Higher the speed, less penetration on XTP’s

I’m thinking of working with a new load. I have plenty of CFE Pistol, and looking at using some with .45acp Hornady XTP 230gr JHP in my Colt Gold Cup National Match.

Hornady calls for a minimum load of 5.2gr @ 700 fps and a max load of 6.9gr @ 900 fps. The show 6.0gr @ 800 fps. I’m thinking of starting at 6.0gr, and working up to about 6.5gr or so. These will be carry rounds, so I want enough speed to reliably expand.

Their test weapon was a 5” Springfield 1911, which should be about the same performance as my 5” Colt 1911.

Does anyone use a similar load for .45acp?

I’d def only carry personal defense hand loads AFTER you’ve vetted a couple hundred exact loads and have no issues.

I mean tons of people carry factory defense ammo in their firearms right this moment and have NEVER shot a single round to verify they go bang or if they cycle... that’s scary!

I’d def only carry personal defense hand loads AFTER you’ve vetted a couple hundred exact loads and have no issues.

I mean tons of people carry factory defense ammo in their firearms right this moment and have NEVER shot a single round to verify they go bang or if they cycle... that’s scary!

Agreed. JHP will and do feed differently in a 1911 style pistol. COAL is critical to finding a load that will cycle reliably. Just cause it plunks in a 1911 doesn’t mean it will feed.

Usually JHP need to be loaded much shorter. Of course depends on the profile of the JHP as well. Some JHP’s are much more “round nose” than others.

I have Barnes 185’s that are loaded long. Mosley’s that are in the middle, and still others that work best around 1.205”.

I know it’s tough to do with those premium bullets so hard to come by but make sure you fire a magazine or 2 to check functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, everyone for the responses. It may have to wait a bit. I tripped this morning, and fell on my elbow. I managed to break my strong side lower arm when I did it.

Back
Top Bottom