New AR Owner.

Dennie Lambert

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Howdy guys. We're new to the AR scene. Always have had AK's since the 90's. So I would like to ask you kind folks for your opinions on a few things. One thing is for sure is we didn't put enough thought into changing to a new platform would be. We have NOTHING for the AR platform lol. No magazines, no ammo, no tools.. nadda.
Our rifle is solid. Well built. has those collapsible sights. We are looking for an affordable Optic for it. I like the idea of a scope and a red dot on top of it.
Also, Ammo. We're thinking .223 for everyday shooting, some wolf or something. 556 is up their in price. Do I need to stock 556 or will 223 be fine long term? I will stock some 855 for fun regardless. Are the Drums worth getting?
Magazines. Magpul PMags seem to be the most recommended. I don't see more than a buck price difference in any but should i instead use Aluminum mags?

I'm retired and on limited income so I am trying to avoid making costly mistakes in buying something only for it to not be right and have to buy something else.

More than likely I will be adding a AR Pistol and a AR10 to the mix eventually.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and expertise.

Good USGI milsurp mags are plentiful and cheap right now. You'll be hard pressed to locate an AR now that won't chamber NATO 5.56mm and .223 REM without the legendary "pressure issues." Federal bulk packed 5.56mm is fine. Green tip isn't going to be more accurate than solid lead core copper jacketed 55 grain ball (in my experience).

Vortex and Burris make very fine affordable optics for your AR.

Get a decent sling and range bag. Definitely buy some of the Surplus magazines but get a couple pmags as well. Optics are a matter of taste I have found. Shooting long? Definitely need it. Shooting close Tactical you got the right dot. and the right idea on the flip UPS
The most important thing is getting out and shooting it and having some dang fun

There is a guy near you that can help you with concerns or ideas about your modern sporting rifle. He is very near the Kroger on Brownsville Rd. He has a business he runs out of his home and he is an FFL. I believe he is know as Patriot Arms and I do believe he has an identity here at ODT.

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/members/patriot-arms-and-supply.52878/

Get a decent sling and range bag. Definitely buy some of the Surplus magazines but get a couple pmags as well. Optics are a matter of taste I have found. Shooting long? Definitely need it. Shooting close Tactical you got the right dot. and the right idea on the flip UPS
The most important thing is getting out and shooting it and having some dang fun

Ugh yeah forgot about a sling. Will try some. Thinking single point.
I don't need a range bag. My back yard is my range luckly.

I would start out ( key phrase start out ) looking at the Smith and Wesson M&P 599.00 or the Ruger AR5.56 605.00 first and then compare rifles based on on what you feel in those two rifles. I would also take a look at the new Springfield Edge. It's in a higher price category but I hear good things about it and it seems to be a decent rifle. Of course if you are looking in the 11 to 1200 range you can't forget Colt. A true work horse in the game. The Colt LE6920 clocks in at 974 and there are couple of others in that range as well. FYI I get all my prices at Buds Gun Shop. They seem to be very reasonable and consistent. It seems that there is a void in the price categories now. It's either 600 or jumps straight to 1000. For just a little more you can a mid line gun that last as long a high line gun. All the functions just not as refined. Just don't get talked into a PSA they won't hold a candle to S&W or Ruger. They are a true entry level gun and you wouldn't want to put your families life on the line in a sub par weapon.

As far as mags all AR mags will work. So buy the rifle you want and on mags buy em cheap ands stack em deep. Just in case Clinton takes office or that diesel dike bitch Pelosi does.

Back
Top Bottom