• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New Marlin 336's shipping

Most guns sell for less than suggested retail.
They do but honestly they shouldn't, that markup is there for the dealer to make money and sustain a business, smaller dealers are forced to sell at the lowest price their larger competitors drop the price to, because the larger business can make their money on volume, that a smaller guy usually can't,. Not to mention the dealer margins are probably under 38-40% in most cases to begin with.

Its a pet peeve I have with the gun industry business plan, the MSRP should be the MAP price...period.... Don't get me wrong, I like paying less than MSRP personally, but IMO its still a dumb business practice the manufactures make the dealers play.

It is pricey - but expected. At least they upgraded to a nice walnut stock. Wish they dropped the large diamond from the checkering. Would've looked better without it. A fresh start. But glad they finally got around to the 336.

It is pricey - but expected. At least they upgraded to a nice walnut stock. Wish they dropped the large diamond from the checkering. Would've looked better without it. A fresh start. But glad they finally got around to the 336.
The checkering is not my favorite for sure.

The quality is evident: satin blued stock instead of a coating, black walnut instead of less expensive wood, and details such as the Marlin horse and rider on the grip cap and butt plate. And Made in the USA. Ruger certainly could have designed it to sell for less, but why? Marlin's price is comparable to Winchester 94 which has an MSRP of $1309 - $1519 for the blued versions.
MSRP on the Henry 30-30 is $1057. I do not believe the Rossi R92 is available in 30-30 but the blued, wood stocked .357 and .44's have an MSRP of $899. Let those two manufacturers compete in the sub $1000 market while Ruger offers the highest quality lever action and it is priced accordingly.
At the end of the day Ruger is a publicly traded company and has to provide an return on its investment in Marlin to its shareholders. Buying the Marlin name and equipment, moving it to a new plant, possibly retooling/improving the equipment, and hiring and training staff to manufacture a quality product without the production issues Remington had is an significant financial investment.

$1200+ for a new Ruger/Marlin 336…Sorry, I can’t do it.

If I’m paying upwards of $1k for a lever rifle, it will be a Browning.
I really like the Browning BLR. The calibers are completely different from Marlin, except 450M if Ruger decides to manufacture a Marlin in that caliber again. If you want a 45/70, 30-30, .44 0r .357 in a lever action Browning isn't an option. Unfortunately, Browning is no longer manufacturing the 1886.

Well we aren’t “back in the day” anymore. Lever guns aren’t cheap anymore and they are flying off the shelf. Levers have basically doubled in value in the past 3-4 years.
Ruger looks to have done a dang good job since they took over Marlin. Looking forward to picking one up.

Back
Top Bottom