New Ruger AR 556

Skylow

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on the new Ruger AR-556, and I must say that this rifle gives you a lot of bang for your buck.
I didn't try too hard to get one, just at a couple of local gun shops. They've been out maybe 9 months now, but Ruger's NC. plant seem to be struggling with the demand. And for good reason, every place that has had one of these has sold quick, with a modest price tag of 649$, I think it was like 687$ out the door. It has a lot of extras for the money, and it shoots like butter, lined up perfect straight out of the box. I just thought I would share, if your looking for a low budget AR, this is the one.

Great rifles. A little nose-heavy with the full-profile barrel, but built like a truck.

On mine I did have to give it a through scrubbing to get the factory preservative off. The first time I tried it the trigger was really sticky and I had a couple of hang-ups with Wolf Steel. Cleaned and degreased it and gave it some decent gun oil, and it's run like a champ ever since.

And while the factory furniture looks like the standard 'take-off' stuff you get on every AR, it's actually very different.

The handguard is a lot slimmer than the normal one you see on entry-level rifles, and is more like the feel of the new Magpul 'slim' SL handguard. The pistol grip is also a Ruger design, and feels more like the MOE grip than the regular A2 grip. Only the buttstock is the typical throw-away item. They also replaced the front sling mount with a QD socket.

Back
Top Bottom