• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New SHTF discussion

I am of two minds on this. On one hand, having a group of diverse people bringing different skills to the table would help out immensely, and there are a lot of things you simply can't do by yourself (like pull 24-hour security). On the other hand, more people means more food, more water, a bigger shelter, more noise if you are trying to be quiet, more of a trail to follow if you are moving, slower movement, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

In my opinion the perfect group would be 3-4 people of varying backgrounds.

I am with you on this jsquared but sometimes a small group of 3 to 4 people is not a viable option.

I belong to a group of ten like minded individuals. When you bring our families together you are talking 45 people. Lots of ways to address the logistics of maintaining a large group. Moving the group can be done by splitting into smaller teams that traveling at staggered intervals. Time, distance, spatial relationship , etc can be used to "hide" a large group.

Prepare, plan, practice, evaluate and then start the cycle all over again.

I have faith in human nature. There will be some out there that are predatory in their attempt to survive, but for the most part, I don't think they will last long. Most people will be desperate for help and will gladly join any person or group of people that know what they are doing. They will also be willing to learn and work towards the survival of the group. Unfortunately, most of these same people do not think it will ever happen so they are not the type to prepare before hand.

I have actually had trouble finding an existing group that I would want to join. Some are hopeless wana-bes that have no real concept of what is needed to prepare and others have been people that think they are super bad asses and are looking forward to increase their position in life via disaster. What is needed is a group of people that are actually pretty easy going in their attitude up until the situation calls for serious action. A group of a bunch of A-Types is going to fall apart.

My primary skill is weapons and ammo. I have a good cross section of weapons ability, especially long range shooting and my hand to hand isn't bad. I am also skilled in loading ammo for all types of firearms and have the equipment to do it. (This is actually one of my businesses). I'm a good hunter and have decent wilderness survival skills. I have a good library of survival skills also. I have good leadership skills, but am also willing to follow as long as I respect and trust the person that leads. I'm a reasonably intelligent guy and my situational awareness is good. I'm a family man and have two adult daughter and a wife that will be part of my group. They have rudimentary skills but do not take this as seriously as I do.

If this sounds a bit like a resume, I guess it is. Still looking for the RIGHT group.

Back
Top Bottom