• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to bows

GoDawgsGo

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
178   0
Reaction score
I've never bow hunted and have zero knowledge on bows or crossbows in general. My dad loves to bow hunt but last season he got to where he could not pull his bow back. He's getting older and weaker. So my question is are new bows easier to pull back? His bow is really old. If they aren't any easier what would be a good crossbow to look at for him?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tons of bows now have adjustable pull weights and length of pull. Crossbows, if I'm not mistake, are actually harder pull to load, you just don't have to hold it there. Cabelas has some package deals that look to be the best deals I've seen around.

I'm a total novice at this, so I might be off.

My crossbows have been a lot heavier then the compounds I've had. That said, I've had a Barrett quad 4 crossbow and put a crank on the stock, worked great.

One of the advantages on newer compound bows would be the let off. You could hunt with a fifty pound bow with 70 or 80 percent let off. That reduces the weight you are actually holding at full draw. There are some crossbows that have a crank to draw. Then you have zero weight to draw or hold. Crossbows are not as maneuverable in a stand though. Good luck

Some newer bows are easier to draw, due to improvements in cam designs. Something in the 50 to 55 lb draw weight range with 75-80% letoff might work for him.

Back
Top Bottom