• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

NFA under Trust approval

Borrowed from Gunbroker:

View attachment 134434

pix702416325.jpg

Notice anything strange?

Think about it this way, on my trust my father and I are both trustees so that we can both posess and shoot items on the trust without the other present. So why would it be illegal for him to take possession of the item from the dealer if I am the one that went in and paid for it 6 months ago? My wife is the successor trustee, so she can't as she is not an active trustee. She only becomes a trustee in the event that, say my father and I are killed at the same time in a wreck. (I'm no fool, not giving her the legal authority to sell my cans to buy more shoes!)

Do you really believe that the ATF has undercover agents sitting around with nothing better to do than to generate flawed trusts? With the hope of future prosecution of these flawed trusts? That's it, I'm getting the reynolds out of the drawer......

Think about it this way, on my trust my father and I are both trustees so that we can both posess and shoot items on the trust without the other present. So why would it be illegal for him to take possession of the item from the dealer if I am the one that went in and paid for it 6 months ago? My wife is the successor trustee, so she can't as she is not an active trustee. She only becomes a trustee in the event that, say my father and I are killed at the same time in a wreck. (I'm no fool, not giving her the legal authority to sell my cans to buy more shoes!)

I think you are right.

I have seen some people who have tried to claim that a trust will allow a felon to possess a firearm. I am probably doing a bad job of explaining my opinion, but usually a "straw purchase" means buying something for someone like that. A felon or a non-citizen or some such. Perhaps the OP had more of a transfer question than a straw purchase question, but they really aren't the same thing.

My understanding is that a trust would not protect anyone from any kind of straw purchase problems. Probably not what the OP was getting at, but nontheless, folks should understand that trusts can't be used in that way.

Do you really believe that the ATF has undercover agents sitting around with nothing better to do than to generate flawed trusts? With the hope of future prosecution of these flawed trusts? That's it, I'm getting the reynolds out of the drawer......

I absolutely do.

I know of an IRS prosecution involving all these "non-citizen state residents" who refused to pay or file income taxes years ago. Dozens of people around here were talked into the idea that they didn't have to file or pay taxes since they just claimed to be some kind of strange version of "state citizen" and not subject to federal tax laws. Busted every single one of them-including CPAs. You could ask them if you don't believe me-but you would have to call the fed pen.

Here is one of many examples..... And yes they have the time. (And let's not forget that NFA stuff is very special to the ATF. I don't think they EVER fail to prosecute NFA violations.)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterp...ing-on-irs-and-losing-ervins-get-prison-time/

-Just hop right on that AK ad on Gunbroker if you think I am so full of it. Nothing standing in your way. The ATF would never have the "time" to play games like that would they? Bid on that 3 pin.

Last edited:
I've seen discussion of the felon issue you're talking about. Since its a non issue in my family I didn't really look into it. I think that the law reads felon can't possess a firearm, not felon cant own, in which case it's still illegal, but I don't really know.

I've seen discussion of the felon issue you're talking about. Since its a non issue in my family I didn't really look into it. I think that the law reads felon can't possess a firearm, not felon cant own, in which case it's still illegal, but I don't really know.

That is a good point. You are probably right.

Definitely getting into lawyer territory on that one. There may be a way to pass ownership through someone like that without the felon ever technically taking possession. Probably is, but definitely not the area for novices to try to get it right. Definitely a lawyer thing.

Is there a thread on here somewhere explaining the process of how to get a stamp & the trustee thing?
I'm drooling over the idea of an SBR that whispers.

Back
Top Bottom