• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Night vision scope advice

Allsmiles

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
166   0
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a night vision scope for an AR and need some advice. Looking to spend in the $500 range if possible. Thermal is still to expensive to justify at the current time. I don't have any experience with night vision, help me out.

Primary use will be predator or hog hunting
Most of the shoots will be under 100 yards
Able to handle 223 or 308 recoil with suppressor
Would like to be able to use during day/low light if possible
Weather proof
Have decent battery life. Rechargeable or buy batteries?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ame...3---12-x-70-rifle-scope?repChildCatid=1243465 Is this a good fit or is there something better I need to look at.

IMHO the three best buys in low cost night vision right now are the Sightmark Photon, the ATN X-Sight (both digital), and the Armasight Vampire (Gen 1 NV).

I own the Sightmark Photon, and you can see my feedback here as well as a comparison to the X-Sight. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/atn-x-sight-5-18x85.1074845/

Let me know if you have any questions, and once you get going with one, you can pick up the Pulsar HD19A hand held thermal (http://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/thermal-monoculars/pulsar-quantum-hd19a/), and nothing will getting by you.

Would it be better to save up a few more $$ (well a lot) and get one of the thermal scopes from Pulsar? It looks to be about the same cost if I got both the ones you listed. I'm looking at this the same way as NFA items and spend the money once instead of having to spend it twice to get what I want.

Would it be better to save up a few more $$ (well a lot) and get one of the thermal scopes from Pulsar? It looks to be about the same cost if I got both the ones you listed. I'm looking at this the same way as NFA items and spend the money once instead of having to spend it twice to get what I want.

A lot depends on where/how you're hunting. Based on your requirements in the OP, you won't be disappointed with one of the digital scopes (especially on sale) and a good IR (I linked to those in the other thread). They are more than capable out to 200 yards if you're hunting a clearing. The downside with the digital scopes is they can sometimes have a little lag when you're going after moving targets, and in thicker overgrowth, they've very difficult to use. I haven't noticed any lag with the Sightmark in testing, but I haven't tried hunting with it. You should definitely check out some of the videos on YouTube.

If it were me, I'd be picking up the digital scope to use now and then when you upgrade to better NV/thermal, you can loan it to friends because I can tell you from experience it sucks having to share when you have the only NV. :D

Then when you're ready to upgrade, you could look at handheld thermal for detection and either a Gen 2+ or Gen 3 scope for the kill. The advantage to the thermal is you will be able to detect all sorts of critters that you otherwise would not see without it. The downside can be target ID with thermal, and that is why I prefer regular NV for the kill so I'm not mistaking a dog for a yote. By the time next year's BF deals roll around, you'd have no problem getting into a good handheld thermal and NV scope for $4 - $5k and possibly cheaper.

Of course if you are going to be out 4-wheelin or navigating at night, then your expense goes up even more because you're going to need something like a PVS-14 for navigation. ;) NV can be just as addicting as NFA...

http://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-weapon-sights/armasight-orion-5x-gen-1

I bought a Armasight Orion a few months back when they were under 400 delivered. As with most other NV this thing is way heavy and big. Not something you would really shoot off hand very well. In foggy or misty conditions it will "white out". You won't be able to use it during the day very well. It does come with a cover with a pin hole in it, so not impossible I guess.
It's about as cheap as you can start with the NV.

20151212_195209.jpg

http://www.armasight.com/night-vision/night-vision-weapon-sights/armasight-orion-5x-gen-1

I bought a Armasight Orion a few months back when they were under 400 delivered. As with most other NV this thing is way heavy and big. Not something you would really shoot off hand very well. In foggy or misty conditions it will "white out". You won't be able to use it during the day very well. It does come with a cover with a pin hole in it, so not impossible I guess.
It's about as cheap as you can start with the NV.

View attachment 638195

If you're going cheap on NV then digital generally is a better option. The Armasight Vampire gets good reviews though, and it's Gen1.

Either way though you'll need a strong IR with any of them

I went outside in the woods and bike trails last night to check out the night vision and it worked fine. It needs a stronger IL illuminator to extend the distance. During the day, it works fine; but is not as clear as a glass scope which is to be expected. $460 OTD is a fair price for what I got. Cheap intro into the NV world; that can be used during the day is a major bonus for me.

Back
Top Bottom