• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Nocturnal deer

You need to find out where he is bedding and where he is staging before he enters the field at night. In early afternoon get as close to his bedding are as you can without spooking him. Hopefully he is not holding tight in his bed until full dark. Often times they will get up and start moving towards the food source before nightfall and that is when they are vulnerable. The problem is, you have to find out where he is bedding, figure out his path to the field and set up a good ambush point. ALL without spooking him or leaving scent that he will discover. In other words, you need to be a scent free ghost.

This is also why post season scouting can be so valuable. If you don't push him this season, you can go into the area without worry after the season closes and find out everything you need to know to take him next season.

Some very good advice. Couldn't have said it better myself. Just like hunting, wait for the right conditions to scout around looking for his bedding.

It would be better to get him before rut. When rut kicks in he could end up 10 miles away. Literally. You can forget patterning him during that time. Your best bet would be to hunt doe areas during rut.

Deer ARE naturally nocturnal. Yes they live in daylight hours also but it is a proven fact that deer live, feed, breed, move, etc. more at night throughout the entire 12 months.

It is still early November. Rut times are slightly different from place to place. I always go from around Nov 9-10 til around Thanksgiving. It is a great idea to hunt all day during peak rut. I could not tell you how many guys take huge bucks between 11:00am-2:00pm. It doesn't matter if it is warm. Stay out there and stay vigilant. If the does are in heat a buck will come looking no matter the time of day or the weather.

I hunt every weekend cause my work schedule is 6 to 6 Monday through Friday. Do you think he's figured out my schedule and I should try to get him during the week or should I take a few weeks off and wait till the rut and see if I can bring him in with calls?

If you take a few weeks off rut will be over. I have no idea when the rut will happen in your location but I suggest hunting all you can because from the looks of things some places are already coming into rut. And whenever you can, hunt the entire day. It can be long and frustrating but rewarding. Water sources are always a good idea for all day hunting. I would not hunt the exact same spot every single day either. That will be the easiest way for him to figure you out. You want to pattern him without him patterning you. Show up at 10:30 one morning and hunt until 3:30 in the afternoon. These times can be magical. These animals are smart and no one can say exactly what you should do. Just suggestions from experience. November is special. Hunt all you can and good luck!

Nov 4 through the 15th is the time to be in the woods.

Around these times have been the best for me also. However, I have noticed that a lot of the true monsters don't get up and come out to play until a little later. Like a grown up on Christmas morning. The young 'uns will be up early and running around like crazy. The grown ups have been there and done that and do not get too worked up so soon. You can catch a 3 1/2 year old much easier on Nov 5 than you can catch a 5 1/2 year old. He will wait until things calm down a bit and then finally get up and start looking.

Ill stay vigilant and use all the advice. Maybe some of this info will help some for the berry college quota hunt I got this week. Either way, thank you guys for the insight. Ill let you know if I get him and post pics of his movements as I get em.

if you are only hunting 23 ac it is real easy to over hunt it, never hunt a small tract if the wind is wrong NEVER..

If you pick your days wisely you can kill him..

Another great bit of advice here. Proper stand location for prevailing winds is key on a small tract of land.

If you have decent doe activity on your land then I'd also consider taking a few sick days during the weeks of 11/4-11/23 and try some all day hunts (wind allowing) during the rut. But make sure the wind is right.

I'm in the same boat on one of my properties. It is 20 acres and there are 4 absolute giants that walk through it on a regular basis...like 4-6 times a week...at night. Sucks. These guys are all bucks of a lifetime. I've been after two of them for three years straight and only seen one with my own eyes in daylight. Didn't get a shot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom