• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Nostalgia - which bike to look for ?

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I started riding bikes in the 70's in the UK and Hong Kong. Had a variety over the years, sold the last one probably 7-8 years ago.

I'm going to look for a "toy" one from my youth, probably tinker with it more than ride. Now the models available in the US in the 70-80's weren't quite the same, (generally larger capacity), so I wanted to poll the knowledge here of models from that era that might be available at modest cost.

Criteria: 350-650, (apart from an RD or GT 250, but those are pricey).
"Standard" street bike.
Disc brake front
4 cyl would be nice, but open to all ideas
Min top speed 95

I'd really like to find a Bandit 400/4, twin shock Kawa gpz 550, cheap RD350/400, XS 650, SR500 SRX 600

What else was selling here I'm missing ? Most of the ones I like are either to pricey or hard to find.

I started riding bikes in the 70's in the UK and Hong Kong. Had a variety over the years, sold the last one probably 7-8 years ago.

I'm going to look for a "toy" one from my youth, probably tinker with it more than ride. Now the models available in the US in the 70-80's weren't quite the same, (generally larger capacity), so I wanted to poll the knowledge here of models from that era that might be available at modest cost.

Criteria: 350-650, (apart from an RD or GT 250, but those are pricey).
"Standard" street bike.
Disc brake front
4 cyl would be nice, but open to all ideas
Min top speed 95

I'd really like to find a Bandit 400/4, twin shock Kawa gpz 550, cheap RD350/400, XS 650, SR500 SRX 600

What else was selling here I'm missing ? Most of the ones I like are either to pricey or hard to find.
If you like to tinker more than ride, I’d suggest a mid ‘60’s Brit bike, 500-650cc.
I sure miss my ‘67 Triumph Bonneville.

For me it would have to be the one made famous being ridden by Jim “Goose” Rains’ KZ1000 Kwaka, a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000. ( The Road Warrior- Mad Max ) The future-retro fairings were designed by an Australian company that later went out of business but their designs were copied many times over.

A bucket list one for me…

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

For me it would have to be the one made famous being ridden by Jim “Goose” Rains’ KZ1000 Kwaka, a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000. ( The Road Warrior- Mad Max ) The future-retro fairings were designed by an Australian company that later went out of business but their designs were copied many times over.

A bucket list one for me…

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.
Good suggestion, in fact my last bike was the retro ZRX1200. I had to sell that because some health issues now mean I need to go lighter weight, hence looking at sub 650, more likely the 400-500 range.

Honda Hawk GT650, but you probably won't be tinkering with it much, it's a Honda. Tinker? How about a mid 80's Guzzi, little tinkering and lots of riding.

Good suggestion, in fact my last bike was the retro ZRX1200. I had to sell that because some health issues now mean I need to go lighter weight, hence looking at sub 650, more likely the 400-500 range.
Same reason I had to give up my ‘73 Z-1 Kaw. Too dam heavy. After my disc surgery I picked up a little KZ440 for a while. Might consider something along those lines.

Honda Hawk GT650, but you probably won't be tinkering with it much, it's a Honda. Tinker? How about a mid 80's Guzzi, little tinkering and lots of riding.
Good suggestion. A guzzi would be great as well, but the smaller ones are rare.

Same reason I had to give up my ‘73 Z-1 Kaw. Too dam heavy. After my disc surgery I picked up a little KZ440 for a while. Might consider something along those lines.
I've thought of that kind of thing, and it fits the bill. Do you find you've got enough power on the highway ? I like a little bit in reserve if I'm on I-85 lol.

Back
Top Bottom