• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRA light rifle - rimfire

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Riverbend Gun Club has a "light rifle" Match tomorrow-- Saturday the seventh.

I understand it involves .22 rifles with or without scopes, but no fancy stocks, no slings, no shooting coats and gloves. Trigger pulls have to be a certain minimum weight I think 2 1/2 pounds and the rifles have to be under 7 pounds including the optics in the magazine .
The rifles must be shot from the unsupported standing position at a target from 50 feet away and the bull's-eye of that target is the size of an aspirin tablet.

I think I'll do it in the morning using a Ruger 10/22 with a standard Ruger 18 1/2 inch barrel, but with a gunsmith modified trigger job that takes down to somewhere around 2 1/2 pounds and a cheap 4 x 12 adjustable objective scope (which I had to adjust pretty heavily to remove parallax at 50 feet.) I think I'll leave the scope set at 4X as long as that allows me to see the bullet holes in the target.

Little late to the show less than 24hrs ... Little notifications makes it harder for people to register for the event much less plan for it. Good luck to those who show up and best of luck for the turnout. Get out way in front like 30 days plus of the event. You’re a smart guy you can do this.

Riverbend Gun Club has a "light rifle" Match tomorrow-- Saturday the seventh.

I understand it involves .22 rifles with or without scopes, but no fancy stocks, no slings, no shooting coats and gloves. Trigger pulls have to be a certain minimum weight I think 2 1/2 pounds and the rifles have to be under 7 pounds including the optics in the magazine .
The rifles must be shot from the unsupported standing position at a target from 50 feet away and the bull's-eye of that target is the size of an aspirin tablet.

I think I'll do it in the morning using a Ruger 10/22 with a standard Ruger 18 1/2 inch barrel, but with a gunsmith modified trigger job that takes down to somewhere around 2 1/2 pounds and a cheap 4 x 12 adjustable objective scope (which I had to adjust pretty heavily to remove parallax at 50 feet.) I think I'll leave the scope set at 4X as long as that allows me to see the bullet holes in the target.
Sounds like a fun match.

I don't see were anybody else has talked about a light rifle match shooting 22s from 50 feet, standing. so rather than posting this thread to invite everybody to tomorrow's event, I'm just going to do a range report on it and hopefully post up some pictures this weekend.

Maybe this will get some of us from ODT to show up at the next one of these they have.

I don't see were anybody else has talked about a light rifle match shooting 22s from 50 feet, standing. so rather than posting this thread to invite everybody to tomorrow's event, I'm just going to do a range report on it and hopefully post up some pictures this weekend.

Maybe this will get some of us from ODT to show up at the next one of these they have.
I like the whole concept. Low tech levels the playing field. Technique trumps price tag.
I look forward to the range report.

I shoot it regularly, as I am a Riverbend member also... Its an NRA Light Rifle Match... your specs are wrong on the rifle needs...
Rifle must weigh less than 8 and 1/2 pounds... trigger pull must be over 2 pounds...
Any iron sights or optics as long as combo weighs in at what's stated previously... All rifles must be inspected and approved before the match...
Shooting at the NRA A32 target... 2 rounds each on 5 bulls for record and 6 rounds of shooting... the sixth bull on the target is for practice rounds only... So 60 rounds total for the match plus as many practice shots as you want to shoot...
No preregistration needed, have to be there and signed in by 9 am and have rifle thru inspection, and be ready for shoot and safety briefing...

HTH

WFO62, thanks for the correct info on the guns' technical specs,
and the course of fire.

It's good to meet you out here today.

I hope other ODT members will join us for the next one.
D28CBA96-19B9-46CC-8CB7-D5EC6E9FC96F.jpeg
47114384-A824-47EC-AB5E-3B9B7CB3EBC3.jpeg

Dinky: If your rifle meets the weight and trigger pull specifications, I don't see why not. I've never heard of any rule against shooting suppressor- equipped firearms in River Bend's matches.

Back
Top Bottom