• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

*** ODT CMP range invasion version 2.0 *** October 1st.

chopper duke chopper duke Sorry I missed you my man! I was up at Range 1 most of the day working out my Garands. Nice shooting as usual!

What lane were you? I spent a good bit of time there but they were so mixed up down there they actually moved me from the center all the way down on the left.

Excellent shooting sir! Sorry we missed you, we were at the other end, #29 and 30

Thank you kind sir! Yeah, I was on 20 at the 600 yard range. We really needed name tags so we could recognize other ODTers vs people who were just there.

I went back for the half day Sunday. There was a steel challenge match, the lobby had about 30 registrants waiting at 12:40 p.m.

I stayed on Range 1 for the day. Lots of folks shooting scoped rifles from the benches and one competitive shooter I recognized from River Bend Rifleman's Weekend (Mr. Posey). He was shooting a Palma rifle prone. Very cool setup.

Next time we go we should plan a set meeting time and place for lunch for those interested. Name tapes maybe front and back of shirts like Appleseed?

I went back for the half day Sunday. There was a steel challenge match, the lobby had about 30 registrants waiting at 12:40 p.m.

I stayed on Range 1 for the day. Lots of folks shooting scoped rifles from the benches and one competitive shooter I recognized from River Bend Rifleman's Weekend (Mr. Posey). He was shooting a Palma rifle prone. Very cool setup.

Next time we go we should plan a set meeting time and place for lunch for those interested. Name tapes maybe front and back of shirts like Appleseed?

great idea. I'm in.....

Well it appears the bribe money to the weather man was worth it. What a great day!
As I mentioned to a couple folks, one major tactical error. Trying to meet everyone is an exercise in futility. Sort of like turning a bunch of elementary kids loose in Disney World and saying "We'll find each other later." Yeah... GLWS. ;)
Next time we'll have a formal meet time for lunch and/or as palmettomoon palmettomoon suggested, perhaps some sort of competition. Yes name tags are a must. I thought someone was going to try and bring some but given how we all scattered like quail, may not have helped this go around. Next time I'll have them and tell the girls at the front desk not to give the discount without the name tag. :becky:
Oh, and don't buy GeauxLSU GeauxLSU 's "I can't see or shoot" schpeel. I spent two minutes showing him how to sling up a 1907 pattern sling on a 1914 made Springfield 1903 and he was stacking 'em on top of each other at 200 yards, LOL!
Pfttt... that was all the instructor and the equipment. I will probably forever regret not getting a lottery ticket on the way home. :cool:
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity! That really was cool. It's getting harder and harder to find functioning guns older than me much less more than twice as old! :laugh:

So we now have a new name for an esteemed member NoShowGeaux...... We looked for you....
Rumor refuted! :p
Hate I missed you but I looked. The overalls were no where to be seen. :noidea:

I saw GeauxLSU GeauxLSU and he shot one of my rifles!
I do believe that's the first Garand I've ever pulled the trigger on. Very cool. Thanks!

I have to say, MAD RESPECT :hail: to you and palmettomoon palmettomoon and others that shoot those vintage military rifles and get simply indescribable performance out of them. I was having fits with a modern .22-250 and 20x scope and ya'll are out there ringing them up with irons. :dizzy: Truly is impressive and inspiring. Well done fellas! :yo:

I had a good time, and I presume Geaux did, until we got kicked out. :) ..... But the "Babes and Bullets" group was there-- they somehow had reserved some of the action bays.
First time I've ever got kicked out of a range before. My momma always said to be careful of the company I kept... :laugh: In retrospect I'm pretty sure those women called the RSO on us. No doubt our overwhelming sexiness had them too distracted to shoot. Come to think of it, they never shot when I was there. They were wearing out that food they brought like it had been a while though. Hmmm..... :pound:

I do want to make sure next time we schedule this, it's on a day when that range (#5) is open to the public. While going there for pistol shooting won't make sense for most, I ALWAYS prefer shooting outdoors and the reactive targets are always cool (and in my case incredibly humbling).

That's too bad. I'm coming to the realization that I'll likely come to CMP for three pos rifle shooting and maybe some Bullseye pistol. If I can find my shotguns I might do clays for a change.
Definitely try the sporting clays. @CheshireGoat and @kuduman and I did a round (just under 100 rounds). It's a nice course. If you insist on bringing a 20, may want to stick with modified on both barrels. Once again I left the 12's at home and felt like I was swinging a wiffle bat (20 with IC and Mod). Of course the fact I can shoot didn't help much. :redface:

Thanks to everyone who made the trip and hope everyone enjoyed themselves and the facility. If I lived closer to that place I'd be even more broke! :doh:

A special thanks to those who allow others to pull the triggers on some of their cool toys! :thumb:

We'll definitely have to do a spring trip and hopefully the weatherman will be kind again. Hopefully the bi-annual ODT trips can be a standing tradition. :afro:

Back
Top Bottom