• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT In Memorium - RIP

Met Mr Charlie at Sweetwater 2011,met Meatwad at Sweetwater,2013.I was blessed to have known em both.Truly blessed.When I met Mr B Byrd I was humbled to be in his presence,a wealth of gun knowledge and life lessons.A man of his word.When I met Meatwad I had to ask him.are you anything like you are on ODT in real life? we laughed shook hands,met his family and posted from then on.PMs were always the best.He was willing to learn and it was always a pleasure to talk with him.Yep people come and go, some leave holes in your heart.B Byrd and Meatwad left holes.

I first met Charlie back in 2009, at the time he was Kermit on GON. I met him at an antique store in Cartersville to buy a rare old Colt 6420 from him that he was selling for way too little. I told him he wasn't asking enough for it, but he wouldn't have it and sold it to me for his asking price. That started a friendship that went basically the same way for the past 6 years. When I say the same way, I mean Charlie giving me too good of deals on things, I don't think I ever sold him anything. Over the years I bought Charlie's chainsaw, his zero turn lawn mower, and most recently the trailer he used for his zero turn after his daughter and son in law told him that they didn't need it and to sell it to me. It's funny, my shop, my shed, and my gun room are full of things I bought from Charlie.

I remember the day after thanksgiving a few years back, we were hanging out in that nasty little gun store we all loved too much when I drove a dagger through my left hand severing all the nerves into my index finger. The wound was deep and should have been stitched up, but I wasn't having that. I was sitting there with a hand full of blood and nothing but a dirty pizza napkin that Todd brought me to clean it up. Charlie just shook his head, walked out to his truck and brought in his "little" first aid kit. Now, for those of you who don't know Charlie, his "little" first aid kit has slightly less in it than the Emergency Room at a small regional hospital. Charlie bandaged me up, told me that either I could let him drive me to the hospital, or I could sit there with him for 2 hours to make sure I wasn't in shock. Those were my only two choices. I sat there with my hand throbbing for 4 hours (you know to be safe) shooting the breeze with my friend. I never did make it to the hospital, and to this day I have no feeling in the index finger on that hand.

I remember calling him up and telling him I was heading to Cherokee gun and pawn and asking if he wanted to go. He always said yes, and he always bought a case of 5.56...Not sure what he ever did with all that ammo. I know he didn't need the ammo, I think he just liked the ride. If you watch the AK vs AR video that CCW and I made a few years back, you will hear Charlie in the background talking. He was our camera man that day and he enjoyed Chris and I cutting up with him much more than the shooting to be sure. Charlie just liked people, and you couldn't help but like him.

We all knew him as B.Byrd, but my wife knows him as Grandpa Charlie because that is always what I called him when I was talking to her about him. Charlie holds a special place in my heart, I am not even sure I ever fully explained to him. I'll miss you Mr. Byrd.

Until we meet again my friend.

I first met Charlie back in 2009, at the time he was Kermit on GON. I met him at an antique store in Cartersville to buy a rare old Colt 6420 from him that he was selling for way too little. I told him he wasn't asking enough for it, but he wouldn't have it and sold it to me for his asking price. That started a friendship that went basically the same way for the past 6 years. When I say the same way, I mean Charlie giving me too good of deals on things, I don't think I ever sold him anything. Over the years I bought Charlie's chainsaw, his zero turn lawn mower, and most recently the trailer he used for his zero turn after his daughter and son in law told him that they didn't need it and to sell it to me. It's funny, my shop, my shed, and my gun room are full of things I bought from Charlie.

I remember the day after thanksgiving a few years back, we were hanging out in that nasty little gun store we all loved too much when I drove a dagger through my left hand severing all the nerves into my index finger. The wound was deep and should have been stitched up, but I wasn't having that. I was sitting there with a hand full of blood and nothing but a dirty pizza napkin that Todd brought me to clean it up. Charlie just shook his head, walked out to his truck and brought in his "little" first aid kit. Now, for those of you who don't know Charlie, his "little" first aid kit has slightly less in it than the Emergency Room at a small regional hospital. Charlie bandaged me up, told me that either I could let him drive me to the hospital, or I could sit there with him for 2 hours to make sure I wasn't in shock. Those were my only two choices. I sat there with my hand throbbing for 4 hours (you know to be safe) shooting the breeze with my friend. I never did make it to the hospital, and to this day I have no feeling in the index finger on that hand.

I remember calling him up and telling him I was heading to Cherokee gun and pawn and asking if he wanted to go. He always said yes, and he always bought a case of 5.56...Not sure what he ever did with all that ammo. I know he didn't need the ammo, I think he just liked the ride. If you watch the AK vs AR video that CCW and I made a few years back, you will hear Charlie in the background talking. He was our camera man that day and he enjoyed Chris and I cutting up with him much more than the shooting to be sure. Charlie just liked people, and you couldn't help but like him.

We all knew him as B.Byrd, but my wife knows him as Grandpa Charlie because that is always what I called him when I was talking to her about him. Charlie holds a special place in my heart, I am not even sure I ever fully explained to him. I'll miss you Mr. Byrd.

Until we meet again my friend.

I remember that day, it's more like you almost severed your finder. I was franticly looking for something to to pressure the wound with, Charlie said hold on,he went to the car and brought back the (EMT) bag. We were all just dumbfounded at the size and all the equipment he was prepared with.
I also cut myself @floydco.wildlife and ask Charlie if he had a bandaid, he looks at me with that Charlie serious but humorous face and said "are you kidding". So many memories come to mind,of such a awesome guy!

I remember that day, it's more like you almost severed your finder. I was franticly looking for something to to pressure the wound with, Charlie said hold on,he went to the car and brought back the (EMT) bag. We were all just dumbfounded at the size and all the equipment he was prepared with.
I also cut myself @floydco.wildlife and ask Charlie if he had a bandaid, he looks at me with that Charlie serious but humorous face and said "are you kidding". So many memories come to mind,of such a awesome guy!

I keep thinking of that guy who came in the store and pointed every gun he picked up at Charlie. Everytime he did it Charlie yelled at him a little louder until finally the guy said, "calm down man, they aren't loaded!" To which Charlie replied as he uncovered his Glock 27, "well mine is!"

Last edited:
I akeep thinking of that guy who came in the store and pointed every gun he picked up at Charlie. Everytime he did it Charlie yelled at him a little louder until finally the guy said, "calm down man, they aren't loaded!" To which Charlie replied as he uncovered his Glocktalk 27, "well mine is!"
You know thats right!.

B. Byrd aka Mr. Charlie was a mentor to me when I started here. He told me I was young and just calm down and all would work out just fine. He always had a kind word to say as far as I can recall. It's like when you were young and your parents say to jump and you say how high. It was that serious. God bless you Mr. Charlie. Rip. Also a true walking encyclopedia

Meatwad I only knew as dtm but he was one heck of a guy. He always gave good advice when needed. Godspeed sir.

DTM was already gone by the time I fell in with all you crazy guys, so I never had any dealings with him, but I have always heard everyone here speak very highly of him.

I never met b.byrd in person, but always enjoyed reading his posts here. He made me laugh a little and learn a lot.

RIP to them both.

Sadbird.jpg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom