• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ODT tribe, need some direction: Treating my crawl for decay fungi and general moisture

JDUB

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
Ain’t that a bitch… c’est la vie!
100   0
Reaction score
So, upon an inspection by our pest control company, our crawl space is in really bad shape. This house is over 40 yrs old and we are on a high water table. We have a lot of decay fungi and generally my crawl stays wet. Last year after noticing the crawl would flood 6” during heavy rain seasons I installed a low point sump basin and pump to remove the water best it can. It’s helped but the mold is bad. And it stinks. I have to think of my family and our health at this point.

Welp, as you’ve guessed it, they kindly quoted me 11k to encapsulate my crawl (about 1800 sq/ft) So I will be doing it myself to the best of my ability.

I know nothing about this so asking for some direction. I have found the below (Bora-Care) to be the best DIY option for killing the mold and helping to prevent new. After I treat the joists and other foundation components then I’ll lay down 8mil poly and try my best to wrap the block footing columns.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
J

if the grading and the gutters are putting rainwater into your crawl space I suggest you try to fix the grading and the gutters first. After just a few years of build up the leaves and roots can clog a drainage system
We do have a lot of standing water when it rains for days at a time. Our soil is terrible. It’s very sandy and doesn’t drain all that well. But for the most part, the water comes in as we are basically on an eons old lake bed and we have a lot of ground water issues.

Back
Top Bottom