Old chest identify

These things must get really bad if this ones a better example, they must have took a beating

You ever have a package delivered by UPS?

Railway Express was the intellectual precursor to UPS. It operated similar to Greyhound bus service, and was widely used because you could get large packages delivered to most places in the Eastern United States in 2 days, and the west coast in about 3 days. Basically driven out of business by the unions and UPS.

"Steamer" trunks are called that because they were used by steamship passengers, with long voyages usually involved. The custom was to pack the trunk, ship it via rail to the port, and have it loaded on the ship.

There is an interesting discussion in The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain about packing a trunk for an around the world trip, the contents of which included a pair of Col. Colt's pistols.

You ever have a package delivered by UPS?

Railway Express was the intellectual precursor to UPS. It operated similar to Greyhound bus service, and was widely used because you could get large packages delivered to most places in the Eastern United States in 2 days, and the west coast in about 3 days. Basically driven out of business by the unions and UPS.

"Steamer" trunks are called that because they were used by steamship passengers, with long voyages usually involved. The custom was to pack the trunk, ship it via rail to the port, and have it loaded on the ship.

There is an interesting discussion in The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain about packing a trunk for an around the world trip, the contents of which included a pair of Col. Colt's pistols.
A "true" steamer trunk was designed so that you could stand it on end and had drawers on one side and a area to hang your clothes on the other. People going on ocean going trips were travelling for a week or more so the trunks were used in lieu of a dresser. Earlier "Immigrant" trunks were basically empty with a compartment built into the top side.

Sent from my GTKing PRO using Tapatalk

Oh...... that kind of chest.... I get it now.

"Old Chest Identify"

I saw the thread title and I thought we were talking about
the figure of some Hollywood actress
or singer who is well past her prime.
1A9F3347-0EA2-4B36-9775-AA35AB6BC100.jpeg

I have a new modern one of these chests in my house.
I have built 4 of them as furniture, 3/4 inch oak bottom and sides, brass hardware, and oak straps. Makes a great coffee table with storage. Can't sell them though, people won't pay what they bare worth. One hundred in brass, to much in labor, and people won't take that into consideration. At $350.00, I would be getting about .50 an hour. I am worth more than that and do are my chest. My sister has one, my daughter, m wife, former neighbor, and one for me. I am going to build one more. My red oak chest won a first prize in a wood workers show.

Back
Top Bottom