• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Old school shotgun buffs opinion needed. ASAP

Everyday Model 12s go for $400-500. If it's really pristine, with maybe better than average wood & the vent rib, it could run $750-950.

The polychoke reduces the value, so without seeing it, I would say somewhere south of $650.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I told him within 50 dollars or so. I told him it was a sentimental piece for him it could pay a little more. I told him I wouldn't pay over 650 for it and it better be a beauty and only for a collection. With it being just a run of the mill field gun with vent rib, checkered furniture. If it was a feather weight trap or skeet model with factory engraving then we would be talking a different story. It's kind of like me with Remington 700 BDLS. If I find a real clean one and I mean real clean in a different caliber than I have I'll pay a little bit more money for one for the simple fact that I just like them. The situation like that it's worth what you what you think you're good with. However, if he's looking to resale or do something like that and he has to watch his move. I told him not to give too much or he would lose his ass.

I have one call left with a old gunsmith in Lynchburg that is a Winchester buff and he would put me on the money but I think we are pretty close with what we have said here.

Yeah my uncle said is was just a field gun in excellent condition. However something like that could sell for more with right buyer. Someone who had one just like it as a young teen and wanted it for sentimental reasons. Other than that it's just another well kept model 12. I think the guy was asking north of 700. I told my uncle to walk to complement the gentleman on his clean gun and move on.

A fair amount of the value will depend on whether the Polychoke is factory or add on.

Also, make sure you aren't using Polychoke in a generic sense. For that era, it would not be unusual to have a Cutts, which sort of has a cult following,

Well I went over all the offerings the Model 12 had. It only listed the three basic chokes. I saw no hint of a adj. choke. So I am fairly certain that was after the fact. I look over guns international and Gun Broker and the ones that were bringing all the money were the factory skeet and trap guns with engraving and stainless accents. In new type condition those were going for multiple thousands. Any rare offerings and the price was in orbit. Crazy what some of those guns were going for.

Well I went over all the offerings the Model 12 had. It only listed the three basic chokes. I saw no hint of a adj. choke. So I am fairly certain that was after the fact. I look over guns international and Gun Broker and the ones that were bringing all the money were the factory skeet and trap guns with engraving and stainless accents. In new type condition those were going for multiple thousands. Any rare offerings and the price was in orbit. Crazy what some of those guns were going for.

The adjustable choke systems were factory options, that would be installed at the factory. There were barrels that were made for the add on chokes but those barrels weren't used on every factory installation. Also there are barrels with no choke markings which generally were intended for adjustable choke installation.

The major problem in sourcing whether or not the add on choke is factory is that Winchester did not consistently do anything with the specialty barrels.

You don't see them in the Winchester catalog, because they weren't Winchester chokes, but there is no question that Winchester would install the chokes at the factory. The factory installations would be marked on the box, which in most cases isn't around any more.

Likewise you could order a Simmons rib through Winchester, which would be installed by Simmons, but the gun would be delivered by Winchester.

Back
Top Bottom