On the Range : 1942 VKT M39 and 1945 SA M1 Garand

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
Got to hit the private range today. It was 95 degrees in Floyd County. My Father in law keeps the range nice and manicured just for occasions like today. We were looking at 2 Rifles. 1. 1942 VKT M39 with a practically new Barrel. I did nothing to this rifle after acquiring it. The 2 stage trigger is so slick and sweet. Whoever did the trigger job should get a medal. I just used 54R silver tip Was shooting single shot off the rest. I figured out this gun fairly quickly.

IMG_2720.JPG
IMG_2723.JPG
FullSizeRender (43).jpg

Next we have a 1945 SA M1 Garand. -This is the one I built from Scratch. I treated myself to a fantastic looking Stock last week and installed it. Got it from the CMP forums. I used regular old M2 Ball and Sort of threw caution to the wind and just hammered this gun shooting rapid fire and slow fire singles. It shot like a dream. The beretta op rod is so slick and just kills the recoil. The gun is tight and loads and ejects perfectly.

I was shooting slow with the M39, I shot faster with the M1. Remember the M39 has a almost new Barrel the M1 Gauges 2.5 on the muzzle. I forgot to mention I was practicing Standing and shooting with the M1. So I can get better at the CMP matches.

Talking recoil? Both felt Ok. the M39 is shooting 54R which kicks. The Gas system on the M1 really helps. As far as bullet drift...Who knows I was shooting at 65 yards. I would not hesitate to use either in a match.

Back
Top Bottom