• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Opening weekend of private land turkey season

sambo77

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
141   0
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a great weekend out in the woods this opening weekend! Down at our place we took a big ol copperhead, a big canebrake, and 2 fine gobblers! My wife's uncle shot one just as the storm rolled in yesterday morning. I shot one just before 730 this morning. Both gobbled all the way to gun barrel. The one I shot this morning pitched down and ran across about 100 yards in a matter of seconds which felt like minutes. He stopped twice to strut but kept pushing on. He got close enough I could hear him drumming between gobbles. He gobbled, drummed, and gobbled right before I shot. He was close enough it felt as if the ground was shaking beneath us from his gobbles. I shot him with my 20ga 2¾" tss load, my wife's uncle shot his with the 12ga 3" tss load I loaded for him. Only thing that would've made this weekend better is if my wife's grandfather could've taken a bird, but hopefully next weekend he can seal the deal.
20230402_084851.jpg
20230402_084842.jpg
20230402_081832.jpg
20230401_104321.jpg
IMG_20230402_173425.jpg

I hope everyone had a great weekend out in the woods this opening weekend! Down at our place we took a big ol copperhead, a big canebrake, and 2 fine gobblers! My wife's uncle shot one just as the storm rolled in yesterday morning. I shot one just before 730 this morning. Both gobbled all the way to gun barrel. The one I shot this morning pitched down and ran across about 100 yards in a matter of seconds which felt like minutes. He stopped twice to strut but kept pushing on. He got close enough I could hear him drumming between gobbles. He gobbled, drummed, and gobbled right before I shot. He was close enough it felt as if the ground was shaking beneath us from his gobbles. I shot him with my 20ga 2¾" tss load, my wife's uncle shot his with the 12ga 3" tss load I loaded for him. Only thing that would've made this weekend better is if my wife's grandfather could've taken a bird, but hopefully next weekend he can seal the deal. View attachment 5554756View attachment 5554757View attachment 5554758View attachment 5554763
Congrats on bird. I hope you took care of that snake....

That's awesome man, congrats!

I was conversatin' with a gobbler Saturday morning near the property line for a little while. Heard two quick blasts and no more gobbling. Neighbor didn't even bother thanking me for drawing him out 😂

That's awesome man, congrats!

I was conversatin' with a gobbler Saturday morning near the property line for a little while. Heard two quick blasts and no more gobbling. Neighbor didn't even bother thanking me for drawing him out 😂
Thanks!

That always sucks! I've had that happen on wma land before.

Back
Top Bottom