• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Optics options... Opinions requested

philwil68

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Guitar and Gun Slinger
114   0
Reaction score
Toss up between the Vortex SPARC and the Bushnell Trophy 1x32. Both are about the same price. To me, the SPARC seems better, but it looks like the Bushnell is more popular. I will be putting one of these on my AR for mainly target shooting. The SPARC also comes with a screw on x2 magnifier. Your thoughts?

Vortex makes great stuff. I have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them. No experience with the SPARC, but I have like what I have seen of them.

I'm pretty happy with my SPARC. Using it until I have the ability to get a EoTech or Aimpoint.

ETA: You don't see the red halo with you naked eyes, the camera is just picking that up on it's own.

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii218_tmoore912_AR15_IMG_3623.jpg

Here is a better pic of the 2 MOA dot.

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii218_tmoore912_AR15_IMG_3609_zpsdf3bdebc.jpg

Last edited:
I have a SPARC. In my opinion there's not much in its price range that stacks up. I cant say that the doubler is that big of a deal as it is a screw in piece and really cuts down on the field of view. It also makes the image kinda dark if you put a flash kill in place. The things I do like is the 3 position mounting system. You don't wind up spending another hundred to mount the darn thing. Though It's a decent red dot I opted to put it on a different platform (AK) and go with a standard style scope on my AR. If you want something for center mass shots on larger targets and slightly quicker target acquisition then a red dot is what you want. If you want to place shots on drink cans and bullseyes at 100+ yards a standard scope is the way to go.
The way I look at it there is no sense in handicapping an AR that will shoot MOA with an optic that covers several times that with the aiming point. With a standard optic I can simply turn up the power and plink cans or bullseyes at distances that the red dot would cover the whole target. Now with an AK that shoots 4 MOA the red dot is a great choice in my opinion.
If you simply must have a red dot then check this out the Burris Fastfire, A lot of guys run em in conjunction with a standard scope.
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Burris-FastFire-II-wPicatinny-Mount-300232_p_11694.html
If you want one you better hurry as this is a steal.

Pay the extra money and get an eotech xps. Quality is much better.

This post is right where I expected it to be, #2.

It has nothing to do with the question asked and is typical of the shooting community: buy expensive!!! Even when shooting at paper 2X a month. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom