• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Palmetto State Armory 16" AR-15 Review

Wallace's

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my feedback about the 16" PSA AR I own.

If you are in the market for a carbine AR, I would strongly recommend checking out PSA.

The fit and finish of their rifles are just as nice as 90% of the rifles on the market.

My rifle came equipped with an FN 1-7 twist 5.56 NATO Barrel (CL MP), A2 front sight and an A3 upper receiver with the M-BUS Flip up rear sight, 2 mags,lock, and a foam lined box.
I bought mine complete at Country Sportsman in Rome,GA for $689.99 almost a year ago.

I must say after a couple of thousand rounds I have NEVER had any issues. This rifle has been an absolute blast to shoot and is quite accurate for a chrome lined 16" barrel. The 5.56 1-7 barrel is a great plus as well when it comes to snagging good deals on ammo online. Very helpful to be able to shoot 5.56 or .223 safely. The 1-7 twist allows you to shoot the higher grain rounds effectively too!

Like any firearm produced now, a bit of polishing here and there makes a world of difference on the overall feel of the rifle! (Thanks Shrek for the sweet trigger job!). I have had the pleasure to shoot a few different brand AR's and could not justify the price difference for the "Name brand" rifles. The most "What the hell?" moment was the Colt AR from Wal-Mart. I have handled and old green label before (very sweet action and stock trigger), but this new Wal-Mart version was a joke to ask $1097 for.Came with a gritty stock trigger,and the action felt just like any other AR. My PSA is every bit as quality as those rifles for over $300 cheaper!.

The price savings has allowed me to do some modifications to make if more comfortable for me to shoot.

STR Stock $80 (Cherokee Gun and Pawn)
MOE Grip $20 (Spare fromLPK)
MOE Forearm $35 (Gunshow)
Magpul Trigger Guard $2 (Spare from LPK)
Extended Charging Handle $15 (Brownells, again thanks Shrek)
Spikes ST-T2 Buffer $35 (Fraziers Tactical)
Flatwound Music Wire Buffer Spring $19 (Brownells,....Shrek...LOL)
EoTech 512 Holographic Red Dot $275 (Just lucked up getting it from someone who needed some cash bad at a gunshow)

...the Brownells prices are the dealer prices (Got to say thanks to my friend Josh (Shrek) for hooking me up!

About $1,200 as configured. Thats only about $30 more than the Colt after tax WITH all the extras! :)
photo(8).JPGphoto(9).jpg

I don't think.that is a factory psa gun. PSA upper wouldn't have a FN barrel or an A1 flash hider. Is the upper, bolt carrier, and original buffer marked with the PSA logo?

Correction, upon closer inspection that appears to be an A2 flash hider. Still wonder about the FN barrel as well as if those parts I mentioned are marked with the PSA logo.

That's an A2 flash hider, the upper BCG, and buffer,have the PSA logo, and it was bought brand new from a gunshop in SW Rome. His has an FN barrel, (I know the guys at PSA very well) and I have personally worked on this rifle. I see you are in our area, come shoot with us one weekend and check it out. This was his first new gun, and should be commended on the work he has put into it. BTW he even built the stand it's on to.

Yes, I purchased the the rifle complete. The upper has the really small Palmetto Logo next to the D-Ring. I have Put together a 20" PSA from Scratch, and the individual receiver did not come marked.

My friend that has helped me build my 20" rifle has a personal contact at PSA. He can also vouch for the FN barrel. (PSA buys them by the pallet)

Here is directly from their site in reference to the barrel:
[h=2]Details[/h] Barrel: 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. The M4 profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated. Barrel is finished off with an .750" diameter F-marked front sight base with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider. Barrel is made for us right here in SC by FN Manufacturing.

That's an A2 flash hider, the upper BCG, and buffer,have the PSA logo, and it was bought brand new from a gunshop in SW Rome. His has an FN barrel, (I know the guys at PSA very well) and I have personally worked on this rifle. I see you are in our area, come shoot with us one weekend and check it out. This was his first new gun, and should be commended on the work he has put into it. BTW he even built the stand it's on to.
Oh, please don't get me wrong. It is indeed a sweet rifle, I love me some PSA. PSA is my favorite manufacture of current production guns, and my goto shop for all things AR. I just have never heard of PSA using anything other than their barrels in their uppers. The fact that it came from country sportsman adds to the suspicion since to be honest, I would rather gouge out my eyeballs with a hot bolt than spend money in that liars den. Where do you all shoot?

Yes, I purchased the the rifle complete. The upper has the really small Palmetto Logo next to the D-Ring. I have Put together a 20" PSA from Scratch, and the individual receiver did not come marked.My friend that has helped me build my 20" rifle has a personal contact at PSA. He can also vouch for the FN barrel. (PSA buys them by the pallet) Here is directly from their site in reference to the barrel:[h=2]Details[/h] Barrel: 16" Chrome-lined, chrome moly vanadium. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. The M4 profile barrel is high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected and then phosphate coated. Barrel is finished off with an .750" diameter F-marked front sight base with sling swivel, standard handguards and an A2 flash hider. Barrel is made for us right here in SC by FN Manufacturing.
I stand corrected. I did not realise they used FN barrels but the website clearly says otherwise. My apologies. It appears I don't know everything afterall..(don't tell my wife) ;). Sweet rig. I dig the stand as well. Might have to get you to make me one.

I shoot mainly at Adairsville, he shoots at Creekside for convenience. I'm not as familiar with the gunshop as he is, but do know the rifle is out of the box configured from PSA. I have a stainless .223 Wylde 16" Palmetto barrel, not too many of those out there either. But they exist. With multiple vendors at times manufacturers/ assemblers are pressed to use different components to meet demand. I worked for Scattergun Technologies in the mid 90's when they were in Nashville, and we used components from several vendors.

Back
Top Bottom