• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Paralyzed veteran looking for help finding an accessible bow hunting spot

Thanks for asking Jsoko. I haven’t, but would love to go give it a try. I have a 30/30, and have considered getting a 30/06 or something else that would be suggested.

Great questions...yes, plenty of room for the meat, we have a 2nd refrigerator in the garage, and my dad has a freezer.

As for ability to traverse the woods, I feel like with help, I can do anything, I can push myself on flat ground with ruts and holes and things like that, but it makes me think, it may be easier if I hunt from a 4 wheeler, maybe I could find someone at my church that could loan me one until I buy one for myself. I do have a Toyota Tundra that I transfer into on my own every day, if that gives you an idea of my ability. If I fall out of my chair, I can get back in to it if I have something to put my hand on to push up from. I do it all the time at home

Do you have a location in mind?

I do physical therapy with the geriatric population, primarily just home health now. I had an awesome patient that loved to hunt and fish but had contracted Guillian barre. We got to work with over the course of almost two years. With his power chair and a gun mount that went under his cushion to hold his gun up he was able to bag a doe the hunting season before he passed. I would definitely find some spots you can hunt out a nice blind with a small ramp. Or you can always just pop a blind up worst case scenario.

Than again if you get this you can anywhere you want on your own. Even an atv can be difficult to handle in ruts and things if that nature. Check into a Polaris ace or two seater general/ranger if you were to purchase something. Can have the harnesses and much more stability/power steering
0EB6B284-3B2F-4F68-9BF8-0A30F40CE865.png

I do physical therapy with the geriatric population, primarily just home health now. I had an awesome patient that loved to hunt and fish but had contracted Guillian barre. We got to work with over the course of almost two years. With his power chair and a gun mount that went under his cushion to hold his gun up he was able to bag a doe the hunting season before he passed. I would definitely find some spots you can hunt out a nice blind with a small ramp. Or you can always just pop a blind up worst case scenario.

Than again if you get this you can anywhere you want on your own. Even an atv can be difficult to handle in ruts and things if that nature. Check into a Polaris ace or two seater general/ranger if you were to purchase something. Can have the harnesses and much more stability/power steering View attachment 2249827
Thanks CKarr, yes, if I had the track vehicle you posted I could go pretty much anywhere. But I would love to talk with other you about places you have been that you think may work. I am try g to find a 4 wheeler to borrow until I can buy one, or a side by side like you mentioned above. I have a zero turn mower that I could use in a worst case scenario.

Do you have a location in mind?

reading your post above
the terrain would not be wheelchair accessible, and the trees are tight plus the area is steep ridge and valleys making it even more difficult for a 4 wheeler

your about 1 hour away
Allatoona WMA has a Sign-in Specialty Hunt for Disability License holders, Ladies, kids, and over 65yo
19 & 20 Oct
think about this - read the regs. and download a map
be sure Disability License covers hunting on WMAs, you may need extra if not
no shooting with-in 50 yards from or across roads
so this eliminates sitting in your Jeep to hunt and you will have to be 50 yards into the woods from the road

get your 30-30 ready

I don't know the area, so you go ride the area a few days before (preferably at daylight), if you find a spot you like clear it out, mark it on map, GPS or a flag, to find in the dark

sign in after 1200 hrs on the 18th, to avoid others and the confusion, and be able to get to your spot before daylight

if you feel up to this and want/need help I will assist you
and dont worry if you shoot one
i will retrieving your deer and field dress and if not going to a processor
I will quarter it up for your cooler

maybe a member that knows an area with good deer activity, can clue you in

reading your post above
the terrain would not be wheelchair accessible, and the trees are tight plus the area is steep ridge and valleys making it even more difficult for a 4 wheeler

your about 1 hour away
Allatoona WMA has a Sign-in Specialty Hunt for Disability License holders, Ladies, kids, and over 65yo
19 & 20 Oct
think about this - read the regs. and download a map
be sure Disability License covers hunting on WMAs, you may need extra if not
no shooting with-in 50 yards from or across roads
so this eliminates sitting in your Jeep to hunt and you will have to be 50 yards into the woods from the road

get your 30-30 ready

I don't know the area, so you go ride the area a few days before (preferably at daylight), if you find a spot you like clear it out, mark it on map, GPS or a flag, to find in the dark

sign in after 1200 hrs on the 18th, to avoid others and the confusion, and be able to get to your spot before daylight

if you feel up to this and want/need help I will assist you
and dont worry if you shoot one
i will retrieving your deer and field dress and if not going to a processor
I will quarter it up for your cooler

maybe a member that knows an area with good deer activity, can clue you in
Great information, thanks a lot Jsoko. Will check it out and would really appreciate you helping me out. I’ll also post here and see if anyone knows of a good area, like you suggested. I’ll get in touch with you in a week or so once I get more information on location and my eligibility.

Back
Top Bottom