PC Build! Where my PC peoples at?!

x3 on the i7. Amazon has the best prices on the I7. Make sure to get a legit windows operating system, as mine as hacked and the system was unstable as **** with the overclocking

I have spent a lot of time working on/building computers and I would advise that you not spend the money to get the latest and fastest processors, it is highly unlikely that you will see a difference in speed between say a 2.6ghz and a 3.0ghz core I7 processor. I heard years ago that processor technology advances at an extremely rapid rate - e.g., models currently available are outdated before they even reach the shelves.

IMO, I would stick with an I7 / 4 core processor (they make 2 core I7 processors) - not the fastest model available; spend the money that you save on more memory. RAM is cheap and the performance increases are noticeable, the more you can afford the better - also, make sure that you match the RAM in parallel sticks (e.g., 2- 4gig sticks instead of one 8gig stick). I would also recommend getting a motherboard that has ample slots for memory and is compatible with DDR3 dual channel @1600 mhz. The graphics card will be where you get your most significant gains in a gaming PC but it is similar to the processor, you don't need the fastest but don't cheap out on what you do buy. And lastly, I would recommend spending the money to get a "good" hard drive, you can get a huge hard drive for cheap if you buy a 5,400 rpm platter drive but it would be well worth the money to get a 7,200 rpm platter drive, a hybrid drive (platter and SSD), or if you can afford it the SSD is definitely the way to go - super fast and super reliable.

I am by no means a professional but I hope this helps!

Merry christmas!!!!!

This is my current build I'm working on.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($176.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($73.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1184.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-26 13:05 EST-0500

I'm thinking of using on of the NZXT Kraken internal liquid cooled cpu cooler.

Last edited:

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg)

Oh damn, Thanks all for the info, still parsing through the different kinds. Im leaning towards an Intel processor but if I get the AMD, would I be able to upgrade by just switching out the processors or are they different sizes?

They use different sockets so you would not be able to swap an Intel for an amd.

Intel changes the socket type and chipset fairly often so I would plan on buying the cpu and motherboard you plan on using for the next three years or so now and plan on upgrading everything then

I remember when the budget was about $800, just a few months ago.

Does anyone really ever upgrade later? I could see adding ram or a new video card but upgrading a mobo and cpu just seems like the time for a whole new rig. At least that's how I've always done it. SSDs have come down enough I'm thinking of putting one in mine for the OS.

I remember when the budget was about $800, just a few months ago.

Guns and computers, I rarely get a build under $1k.

Some of the pries are inaccurate though due to Black Friday sales and the i5 was a gift. My total cost s will probably run around $700 not counting monitor, keyboard, OS, Microsoft office

Back
Top Bottom