• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Picaridin insect repellant

howl

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
The active ingredient works for mosquitoes if you apply about every half hour. It does not work for ticks for more than a few minutes. I have watched ticks crawling on skin that was saturated with the stuff only a few minutes prior. If you spray the repellant directly on a tick with it, it moves more slowly but that's about it.

I forgot the above for a while and recently tried it again as Repel brand. I applied it about every hour while working in an area I cleared of pine trees. I was walking around and occasionally kneeling in pine straw. I applied the product more heavily than I would a similar concentration of DEET. I found several ticks crawling on my arms while working. I found several crawling on my legs, torso and other parts after I finished my work. I found several attached to my skin over the next couple of days. THIS STUFF DOES NOT REPEL TICKS well enough to be useful. Oh, and I got about a dozen redbugs AKA chiggers, too.

If you expect crawling pests, use DEET or a permethrin-based product like Permanone. Of just get a bottle of 10% permethrin from the feed ands seed and dilute it for your clothes. When dry, permethrin won't spook a deer. It lasts about a week in the woods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom