Picked up a new project upper, what trigger?

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide what to do with the ODT lower I won and picked up a new upper this weekend to try to put it together. Its a Colt A2 upper with a ER Shaw 20" 1/12 twist light profile barrel. Im not 100% sure on the barrel maker or contour honestly, it looks almost like a mix between an A1 and A2. It tapers under the handguard and flares up to seat the end cap, but the FSB area looks to keep the original barrel taper to the muzzle device so Im not sure honestly :) A1 flash hider and a rifle barrel extension round it off.

I wanted to build the ODT lower into a kind of all-around woods gun so I went searching for a 1-12 twist upper to play with and see how it shoots .22lr with a conversion bolt. Im hoping the slower twist acts better than a 1-9 or 1-7 barrel on the lighter rimfire fodder although the internet jury is still out on this one. Figured I would just do my own testing and see what happens. Will try M193 and M855, a few varmint specific rounds, some heavier match ammo, and a few different bulk .22 offerings and figure out what works best, then keep it around as a one-stop-shop kind of gun just in case.

Im planning out the lower build now, I have a spare A2 buttstock that is going to finish off the back end, but am going to open up the storage area in the back so that the .22 conversion or standard BCG fits in along with some cleaning stuff. That way I can carry a dedicated conversion kit with the rifle at all times, and only have to worry about taking along the different mags (although I might have a plan for that also...). Need to decide on a trigger and LPK and I should be all set. Oh and a BCG, probably just going to put in a PSA basic one.

I have a RRA 2-stage in my 3-gun AR, a JP single stage in my flat top optic rifle, and a Spikes single stage shiny coated one in my pistol. I like them all for different reasons so I am kind of torn on which way to go here. I dont want to spend a fortune on a trigger (around $100) and dont know if I want to do a light single stage or more of a battle trigger, other one or two stage. Im thinking I might go with another RRA two stage, really like it for all around shooting.

If your budget was a little more this is what I would suggest. http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1234 Bravo Company USA stocks it too. I have this trigger in a couple of my guns it is simple. Drops in, no adjustment needed and feels great.

The Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) Trigger is the semi-auto only version of a select fire trigger that Geissele makes for U.S. SOCOM. The SSA is a non-adjustable combat trigger, it is not a match trigger. The second stage break is like a carrot rather than an icicle. Suitable for Close Quarters Battle (CQB) and mid-range carbine work, the Geissele SSA is also the perfect trigger for Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) rifles. A short summary of the Geissele SSA features and advantages follows.

1. Performance Advantages for the Shooter
The Geissele SSA has a pull weight of about 4.5lb. 2.5 lbs on the first stage and 2lb on the second stage. The pull weights and sear engagement are non adjustable.
Trigger and hammer are made from quality tool steel
Sear surfaces are cut by a wire edm machine. Sears cut this way are very accurate and the non-directional surface finish of the wire edm gives a smooth trigger pull without the associated grittiness of directional machining marks left by a milling cutter.
The initial force needed to start the disengagement of the sear surfaces is low and the force linearly increases at a low rate. This helps the shot to fall at the initial point of aim and aids in building shooter confidence in his weapons ability to put the rounds where his sight is pointing.
The Geissele SSA trigger allows the shooter to slap through the trigger pull on close in shots but also set up a long range shot with a crisp trigger break.
A full force hammer spring is used for quick locktime and positive ignition of all types of ammo. No lightened hammer spring is used.
The hammer is lighter than a standard AR15 hammer. The lightened hammer favorably decreases locktime and increases accuracy of the weapon, especially for snap shots.

2. Advantages for the Armorer
The Geissele SSA is a simple design that is very similar to the original M16 trigger. The number of parts is identical.
There are no adjustment screws to come loose.
All springs are captive; they will not get lost during disassembly in the field
The entire trigger can be dissembled for cleaning (no rivets or staked parts)
The trigger can be installed without removing the safety
Sear engagement is pre-set from the factory.
Hammer and trigger pins are a close slip fit into nominal receiver holes so the trigger can be installed and removed with rudimentary tools.
Triggers come with a slave pin for the trigger/disconnector assembly for easy installation.

3. Safety Advantages
The Geissele SSA is a 2 stage trigger where there is generous overlap of the sear surfaces which contributes to safety and a low tendency of any inadvertent movement of the trigger to discharge the weapon.
The Geissele SSA has a patented pseudo sear that is almost identical to the standard AR15 single stage sear. However, this secondary sear has surfaces that never touch during normal operation. This sear prevents the hammer from falling unless the trigger is pulled.
The secondary safety sear contributes to shooter confidence in dynamic/vehicle situations where a fellow shooter’s muzzle may cover him. There is firm knowledge that even with the safety in the fire position the weapon can never discharge unless the trigger is pulled.
Trigger timing is robust and parts have been sized to operate with a certain amount of wear to the working surfaces. The trigger is designed to operate in dusty, abrasive environments that cause wear.

For what it is worth, I've got a Super Dynamic Combat trigger in my carbine and it works 100% with my conversion kit. The kit is a Ceiner (spelling?)

I keep meaning to take my 1:7 and 1:9 out and see if there is a difference shooting rim fire. I have no complaints about the accuracy so far. But I want to back that up with punched paper.

That sounds really nice! Wonder if the lighter hammer will work for the conversion kit.

You should call Geissele. Most likely Bill himself will be able to anwser that. One thing that impresses me about Geissele is even as popular as they are the owner still sometimes picks up the phone himself.

Last edited:
Maybe a different route to take. Save your lower for another project and pick up a New Frontier Armory polymer lower. Great trigger on these things (4.5 lbs and breaks like a piece of glass) and you can get the complete lower for what you're wanting to spend on the trigger. Just a thought. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom