• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pine Log Turkey

hunting public land.jpg

My advice applies to any and all public land. Hunt the afternoons on the weekend and then hunt mornings or all day during the week.
Call sparingly and when you call, don’t lay it on too heavy. WMA birds can usually identify what brand call you are using. Lol. They’ve heard them all.
Don’t call from the logging roads. 99% of WMA hunters walk the roads and call. The birds get accustomed to that and are also encountering hunters along the roads, therefore they avoid the roads. Instead, walk and call from one side of a ridge, just below the crest, to avoid sky-lining and to keep your impact of the area to a minimum. Your calls will still reach the other side, but you will bump less birds in the process. I also have noticed that the turkeys seem to like some of the steeper ridges on a WMA that I frequent. They’re evident when looking at a topo or even on google maps since they cast quite a shadow.

I'm hitting Allatoona tomorrow morning before these storms roll in. Low of 51 tonight will be much better than these near freezing temps we had for the last few days.

My tip is to just check out different areas for any turkey sign, most the areas I checked over this weekend were a bust but I did find an area that they are have been tearing up. OnX is a good phone app for showing boundries.

Also just because you don't hear a gobble doesn't mean there's not turkeys around. Stay mobile and listen for their scratching.

Owl calls are helpful too.

See far more turkey on Allatoona than I ever have on pine log and to my surprise not where you'd think they would be
I can remember many years ago Alltonna was good WMA but then all the timber company land was sold off and not much left of it land wise gobbled up by the atlanta sprawl

I'm hitting Allatoona tomorrow morning before these storms roll in. Low of 51 tonight will be much better than these near freezing temps we had for the last few days.

My tip is to just check out different areas for any turkey sign, most the areas I checked over this weekend were a bust but I did find an area that they are have been tearing up. OnX is a good phone app for showing boundries.

Also just because you don't hear a gobble doesn't mean there's not turkeys around. Stay mobile and listen for their scratching.

Owl calls are helpful too.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Got in around 6 and set up. Somehow I managed to find a spot with a roosted hen barely 40yds. I watched her wake up, she lightly clucked a few times and then glided off down the ridge line. I called shortly after with 1 distant gobble and that's been it so far.

I saw the hen around 7 and she had woke up about 7:15 and was off the roost by 7:30

Attachments

• 20190325_071012.jpg
    20190325_071012.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190325_072531.jpg
    20190325_072531.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom