Pistol/SBR Lower?

I'm running the same carbine buffer setup on my lower when i switch from my 16" upper with carbine gas length to my 10.5" upper with carbine gas length on my same SBR lower. No issues with those setups. If you choose a shorter then 10.5" and it runs a pistol length gas tube it may have cycling issues. I cannot confirm, but I understand what your asking.

I'm running the same carbine buffer setup on my lower when i switch from my 16" upper with carbine gas length to my 10.5" upper with carbine gas length on my same SBR lower. No issues with those setups. If you choose a shorter then 10.5" and it runs a pistol length gas tube it may have cycling issues. I cannot confirm, but I understand what your asking.
Thanks. Yea you answered it and that's what I was looking to do as well. I wouldn't go any shorter that 10.5.

I would look into getting a heavier buffer to help take the punch better, playing with the weight of those can help fine tune your gas pressure, timing of everything. Take note of direction of ejecting brass angles when playing with buffer weight.

I haven't shot my 10.5" suppressed yet. I still have a couple months left untill uncle Sam says I'm allowed. With the increase in pressure I'm pretty sure I may have to go to a heavier buffer. Time will tell...

So you're asking about the practical performance, not the legality, of taking a RIFLE's lower receiver (that you already own, and already have a 16" barrel on) and putting a 10" barreled upper on it, as a cost-saving measure so that you don't have to buy a dedicated SBR lower or pistol lower?
You're saying your intention is to just have one lower receiver that you use for either the rifle version or the pistol version or the SBR version?

Do you understand that you cannot legally put a RIFLE's lower receiver together with a short barrel and create a pistol? You won't make a "pistol" that way. You'd be making an SBR. So then while having one lower filling both roles would save you money, the NFA application costs and $200 stamp would more than offset any savings.

So you're asking about the practical performance, not the legality, of taking a RIFLE's lower receiver (that you already own, and already have a 16" barrel on) and putting a 10" barreled upper on it, as a cost-saving measure so that you don't have to buy a dedicated SBR lower or pistol lower?
You're saying your intention is to just have one lower receiver that you use for either the rifle version or the pistol version or the SBR version?

Do you understand that you cannot legally put a RIFLE's lower receiver together with a short barrel and create a pistol? You won't make a "pistol" that way. You'd be making an SBR. So then while having one lower filling both roles would save you money, the NFA application costs and $200 stamp would more than offset any savings.
Please go back through and read the thread. I have a very clear understanding of that. But thank you for reiterating once again. And the cost would not be offset. I prefer a sbr. So the tac stamp is something I will need regardless.

The only thing different in my SBR than a standard AR would be the heavier buffer I run in the SBR. (Mine's a 12.5" 6.8 SPC) and I've got a 7.5" 5.56 upper I throw on as well. Both seem to benefit from the heavier Spike's buffer.

Other than that, they're the same.

Back
Top Bottom