Pointers for a family "survival day"

jyphotog

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
9   0
Reaction score
Hey guys.

My wife and I are considering having a "survival day". We want to simulate an emergency and we, as a family, have to survive with what we have. I would like to make it a weekend, however, baby steps.

My idea is to explain to the kids what is going to take place, but it can take place without notice. We will have to come together as a family to figure out what to do until the power and water comes back on. (24 hours) We will prepare ourselves for more days with the idea that we do not know when it comes back on.

It will be mostly indoors, except for gathering wood to stay warm.

I am coming to you guys for help with ideas of exercises we can conduct throughout the day. What we can do to prep.

I know I am going to get a hard time from the older kids, but I think it’s important, educational, and empowering to know how to react.

Throw some ideas and please keep it semi serious with a little bit of fun.:confused:

Baby Step Ideas:

Teach your kids which wood will burn and is valuable for a fire and which wood is too wet and not worth gathering.

Teach your family what objects in the house can be improvised as a survival tool. IE; a cooking spoon becomes a mini shovel, newspaper can be crumpled and combined with a blanket to create an isolation barrier trapping in heat when bundled to stay warm.

Show your family which cold foods need to be prepared and what can be eaten as is. Milk, cheese, meats, vegetables. (how to tell when things are spoiled)

Hardcore Ideas:
Simulate a break in or hostile encounter and teach them how to evade and escape. (fun for the older kids)

Just some thoughts. Sounds fun though, good luck!

just wait til next year for hurricane season and when one is coming my way i will call ya-it will make your butt pucker

Atlas' idea about which wood to collect is a good idea, teaching them which wood is useful is a key skill for an outdoorsman, which burns longer for a cooking fire, which gives a good bed of ash etc.

As for ideas of what to do. Water conservation is a good skill for them to learn, how to make the most of what they have. Teach them to be able to pack their kit quickly and in the right order.

I broke it to them and they seemed to be ok with it. I think just showing them some attention will always work in my favor! Letting them help to learn rather than barking orders. I am going to write out some sort of agenda so when we aren't doing anything to prepare, we can learn something such as first aid and Atlas's awesome idea of having a "looter" break in.

Build a soda can stove, show them how to use fatwood and ferrocium rod to start fire. Get cotton balls, smear with vasoline, strike with fero rod and start fire. get water tabs and teach how to disinfect water. Teach them how to build a shelter using a tarp and paracord. at the end, MAKE them eat an MRE, then they will get the full experience and gain a new appreciation on their lifestyle.

Good ideas so far. Stress that in a real survival (not just power out at home) WATER is the first priority (if you are wet and cold then FIRE is first) since one can live for days without food but generally only hours without water.

You might learn/teach how to make a solar still. Teach them that any water is better than none and learn/teach how to make it safe to drink.

Show them the news on Sandy where people are still without power and water service.

Show them the news on Sandy where people are still without power and water service.

This. Hopefully, that will make it real for them.

Have some board games or something fun to do also. It shouldn't be all work. There'll be downtime even after the SHTF.

Good luck and post a long review when you're done.

Back
Top Bottom