Police scanners

Any good android apps. I saw some on the play store but don't want to waste money on something that is not good.

I use the Scanner Radio free app. It works well except when whoever is providing the local feed has a crappy internet connection. Our local police and fire went to a digital P25 system and this makes it even worse under bad conditions. Sometimes it is virtually unintelligible through this app.

Looks like some are conventional and some are P25. Any scanner will work with the conventional frequencies, but the P25 is 800mhz trunked, and digital. That will require a high end scanner capable of decoding the digital and following the trunk groups. Find a ham radio operator in your area and ask if they monitor public safety any and find out for sure what is being used. Don't spend the $$ till you know for sure. I know that my county uses Kenwood that are digital and there is not a scanner that I am aware of that can decode the signal. You don't want to wind up in that situation. Happy listening!

I have several on my I-phone. Seem to work pretty good but you are very limited in who you can listen to. I am fortunate that I can listen to most of the Cobb and Cherokee guys at any given time.

Several years ago I bought a couple radios from Radio Shack...got one nice 800mhz w/trunk capabilities , all the bells and whistles....and another middle of the road scanner. Mainly use for scanning but also take to races for cars, broadcasts, etc.,

My main point is if you buy a decent scanner , you will use it, it will be worth it if you are into that stuff. I can take mine to games and get any number of play broadcasts, follow emergency stuff, monitor crap going on around your county....I like keeping mine on my reloading bench for when I'm pumping out bullets.

I always turn on my battery powered scanner when the weather gets bad around here. The police and fire dept will report the weather conditions in their current location to each other, so I know exactly what is going on all over Madison County.

I also have my scanner programmed to listen to my power companies radio transmissions.

So whenever our power goes out, I can listen to the scanner as the Jackson EMC workers report the problem back to base and talk about how long it will take to get it fixed.

OK I'm no scanner novice but I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the nuts. I have a radio shack pro 96 digital scanner up for sale. However your not going to be listing to Paulding co with any police scanner. They run a digital system that uses a proprietary digital coding called mototrbo. The only thing that you could do is buy two sdr sticks on eBay and download sdr# and unitrunker to listen to Paulding. If you want to listen to Cherokee county or Cobb then the new digital scanners will work fine. My daily work horse is a uniden bcd436hp digital.
Pm if you have any questions or interest in the pro96 scanner. It's pre programed for Bartow, Cherokee, Cobb and gsp

If you aren't really tech-savvy then I would recommend the Uniden Home Patrol-1 all you do is turn it on and enter your zip code and it does the rest. It does digital and analog and it does it well.

Paulding co is a mototrbo system. It's a digital Motorola based system. The scanners that will decode this system cost upward of 400-600 $. Whistler makes a scanner that can do it out of the box. Uniden makes one that's upgradable for an extra $75 I think. I have the uniden models in both my truck and home. They work great but it cost me $1,200 to do it. Ymmv. I also have a radio that is capable of transmission on the system that only cost $120. It follows well and decodes as well or better than the scanner. It's a tetra md380. The software is cumbersome and no instructions come with the software.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom